Wearing rings

/ Wearing rings #41  
I wear my ring all the time and a watch a lot of the time. I did have a spark plug wire arc into my ring once. I've been jolted by spark plug wires more than once, but only the one time on my ring. It just left a slight gouge in the ring, lots of volts but not many amps.

The only close call I've had was from a wasp sting on my ring finger. I don't really react to bee stings, but wasp stings are pretty bad for me. I didn't think much of it at the time, but my daughter said something a few minutes later about taking my ring off. Lucky she did because after a few more minutes, it wouldn't have come off.

/ Wearing rings #42  
Tool&Die Maker for 45 years. Wearing rings was frowned upon. I wore them anyway, and still have all my fingers. I saw alot... A guy, and a few women get their hair caught in the spindle of a drill press, but not even OSHA in all their "wisdom" demanded shaved heads. I got more injuries because of government mandated stupidity..
Worked with a guy that had a huge scar the length of his face. Had a large die ring chucked in a lathe. Apparently the chuck loosened overnight... Next morning, hit the lever... Wham-O... Sometimes accidents are not accidents, and this guy had it comin'... It's a different world in machine shops today since the computer "geeks" took over, buuuttttt...

Experience trumps safety devices, and the pencil pushers that mandate them, every time!

/ Wearing rings #43  
I rarely wear my ring while working as well, just not comfortable. My wife will sometimes point it out...I should direct her to this thread. All fingers thus far still attached.

/ Wearing rings #44  
Lucky she did because after a few more minutes, it wouldn't have come off.

oh.. it'd come off.. but either by a ring cutter at the er or via the paramedic. or via a pair of wire cutters. BTDT on the last one.. had to ring-ectomy my self one time when i smashed a finger and had no hopes of getting the ring off.. swelling set in within seconds.. i was still seeing starts when it swelled up :)

/ Wearing rings #45  
I've seen a close call a few times and just had one myself a couple of weeks ago. We had a guy get his hand smashed and had to take his ring off with wire cutters while on the way to the hospital, think he might have lose the finger if we didn't. I had to go to the ER and hospital for a week due to an illness and the ring was the last thing on my mind. The ER folks messed up the IV and pumped fluid into my hand, which looked like a Michelin man glove! Luckily someone noticed my ring and got it off before the point of no return.

/ Wearing rings #46  
yikes!

/ Wearing rings #47  
Soundguy said:
oh.. it'd come off.. but either by a ring cutter at the er or via the paramedic. or via a pair of wire cutters. BTDT on the last one.. had to ring-ectomy my self one time when i smashed a finger and had no hopes of getting the ring off.. swelling set in within seconds.. i was still seeing starts when it swelled up :)

A digit or extremity can go for at least 6hours with little to no blood...

Have seen a patient with a severed arm at the shoulder (when we left hospital about 3 hrs after it was severed he was on his way to a Trauma center and the arm was white)

Learned later that it was successfully reattached.

Although it is important to get the ring off to avoid complications it often can be removed much later with positive results.

Just my personal experience. Not telling anyone to wear or not wear rings.

Best practice is still to remove the ring ASAP

/ Wearing rings #48  
it hurt too much to leave it on.. ;)

/ Wearing rings #49  
I learned the hard way.

I was going down the ladder from a P3 military aircraft, and my ring caught on some bolt threads that were exposed, and ripped/skinned my finger from the base to the knuckle. The blood helped slide the ring off when I got to the bottom of the ladder. I threw the strip of meat/skin away.

No more rings after that, and no watches. I am not a time watcher. Besides, every cell phone has a clock on it.

/ Wearing rings #50  
My wife fell and broke her wrist a couple of years ago. Her ring was already tight, and the swelling prevented us from removing it.

The doctor wanted to wait a few days before he casted the break to allow for the swelling. He said the ring must come off before he put on the cast, either he could do it or we could have a jeweler remove. He suggested a jeweler because his method was crude and the ring would most likely be destroyed.

The jeweler had this nifty cutter that ground a thin kerf through the band.

image-2337770250.jpg

After her wrist healed, she took the ring back to the jeweler, had it resized and repaired. Good as new.