Wearing rings

/ Wearing rings #61  
Soundguy said:
probably.. but when it did crush.. I'd be real worried. my gold one deformed under a rush and I couldn't get it off fast enough..:) and it was easy to cut off with a pair of wire cutters!

I kinda figure the tungsten ring would shatter if you applied enough pressure to it. I barely ever wear my gold one usually only if we're going out somewhere

/ Wearing rings #62  
i honestly don't know the propertis of the tungsten/ceramic ring. i don't know if it permanently plastically deforms or not.. either way, I 'presume' ( may be wrong there :) ) that SOMETHING can cut it.. even if be wear, ie.. a carbide abrasive blade.. or perhaps a diamond blade. i do believe the ring cutter i saw had a small diamond wheel.. either way.. i'd hate to have to hand spin that wheel to get thru a tough material.. might take forever.

I have 2 wedding bands.. 1 for work, 1 for normal use. my 'work band is a 10k, thus 'harder and more durable one'... it's from my 1st marriage. i wear it in places where it might be damaged... but the wife pretty much wants me ' identified' full time. :)

I did get a temporary reprieve when i hurt my hand a while back and had to go ringless while it healed.. but not long.. :)

/ Wearing rings #63  
Soundguy said:
i honestly don't know the propertis of the tungsten/ceramic ring. i don't know if it permanently plastically deforms or not.. either way, I 'presume' ( may be wrong there :) ) that SOMETHING can cut it.. even if be wear, ie.. a carbide abrasive blade.. or perhaps a diamond blade. i do believe the ring cutter i saw had a small diamond wheel.. either way.. i'd hate to have to hand spin that wheel to get thru a tough material.. might take forever.

I have 2 wedding bands.. 1 for work, 1 for normal use. my 'work band is a 10k, thus 'harder and more durable one'... it's from my 1st marriage. i wear it in places where it might be damaged... but the wife pretty much wants me ' identified' full time. :)

I did get a temporary reprieve when i hurt my hand a while back and had to go ringless while it healed.. but not long.. :)

I'm sure SOMETHING can cut it like you said I wouldn't want to be the one hand cranking that wheel or be the guy waiting for the wheel to be cranked. I hear you on that the wife wants me marked as "taken" hence my tattoo

/ Wearing rings #64  
I learned the hard way.

I was going down the ladder from a P3 military aircraft, and my ring caught on some bolt threads that were exposed, and ripped/skinned my finger from the base to the knuckle. The blood helped slide the ring off when I got to the bottom of the ladder. I threw the strip of meat/skin away.

No more rings after that, and no watches. I am not a time watcher. Besides, every cell phone has a clock on it.

I think the Navy is the main reason I do not wear rings today and I was not even married when working with P3's with VQ-2. I continued to work with electronics for a long time. Actually today I have not a clue where my wedding band is but expect the wife does. I do not give my wife reason for her to desire that I be branded. The watch was the other thing that never felt right so with the event of cell phones I do not see the need for a watch either.

Using chain saws, getting up and down from tractor, truck, etc and using a ladder often around the place is just less risky with out jewelry based on my experience and research I have read but each to his own.

/ Wearing rings #65  
I was at Ranger school with the army a few years ago and after our truck was "ambushed" and one of the guys wearing gloves had the skin from the webbing between his finger to his and to the last knuckle removed when the ring caught on the truck through the glove (he was jumping down from the bed to the gruond, about five feet). Now my ring lives on my watch band unless I'm around the house or church.

/ Wearing rings #66  
Fortunately for me I can't stand wearing jewelry, and I made it clear to my wife I wasn't going to wear a wedding ring of any kind.

/ Wearing rings #67  
My wife to be, and I, accept that rings are not fixtures. Also we have no affinity to gold or other precious metals.

We made each other's rings. Her's is a yew wood ring with three recycled brass screws, from an electrical terminal block, forming the appearance of gemstones.
DSC_0055.jpg

Mine is a small plat of recycled burglar alarm cable crimped to form a band which I then later set on a yew wood ring.
DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

Both the rings are fragile and will break if tugged. The idea is that if anything happens to the rings we will fix it, and that is the way we like to see our relationship.

Neither of us wear them if working, or in wet conditions (rain, washing up, cleaning, etc.) for both safety and wear and tear reasons.

/ Wearing rings #68  
i made a ring one time with some spoons and a silver quarter.. remember those.. :)

/ Wearing rings #69  
Woodsmith, those rings are awesome! I really admire your craftsmanship and ingenuity in making those as well as having a one of a kind ring for the one of a kind person in your life

Soundguy, I too have made a ring out of a quarter, not a silver one just a regular old quarter,problem is it made my wife's finger turn green!

/ Wearing rings #70  
i've never checked the hardness scale for silver or the coper alloy in a quarter.. but I think the silver is actually pretty easy to work..