Tractor Rollover Rescue

/ Tractor Rollover Rescue
Let me know if you can see the article. It's giving me some trouble.

/ Tractor Rollover Rescue #5  
very sobering article. Anyone driving an older style tractor, without ROPS/seatbelts, and particularly with tricycle front ends should read this carefully. It shows how hard it is to get the tractor off you, assuming you are still alive.
I witnessed a sixteen year old boy die in his Dad's arms after a Farmall steering wheel crushed his chest on a rollover on a hill. Still sticks in my mind twenty years later.
What I found most interesting was the caution about lifting the tractor with another loader. I'm sure it's done on larger farms with multiple tractors.
No Onstar on tractors that call in when one flips over...

/ Tractor Rollover Rescue #6  
I drive a farmall M that killed a person, or I should say the operator was killed. I went to school from K-12 with the guys son who was killed. He went to pop start the M due to the battery was bad so he had been rolling it down a hill and pop starting it. The story is a little less than clear and with things like this I never wanted to pry. I from what I learned when he let the clutch out the rear wheels locked up long enough to throw the guy off ahead of the rear wheel. The tractor then "caught" to took off running him over and killing him.

A year or so later a friend of mine who wanted a tractor to pull hay wagons with bought the tractor at an auction. It wasn't till a few months after that we found out who the owner of the tractor was.

Another machine that kills but has gotten safer is skidsteers. Now many of the newer ones have safety items to prevent things. I know a few people hurt and some killed. Mainly when climbing on or off and hitting the lift on the loader. Sometimes when the bucket was in the air and they were climbing out under a bucket.

/ Tractor Rollover Rescue #8  
Thanks for sharing.

/ Tractor Rollover Rescue
Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you enjoyed the article.

/ Tractor Rollover Rescue #10  
It shows how hard it is to get the tractor off you, assuming you are still alive..

If they roll over backward (likely) You wont be. while serving on my previous FD in rural Macoupin County IL, we responded to fatal tractor (rearward) rollover. Older ford 3000.

We ended up calling in a wrecker that boomed out over the upside down tractor, we help strap all 4 corners to it and they lifted it straight up about a foot that allowed us to extract the victim. after that we blocked the rear wheels and he proceeded in rolling it over end for end (much the same way in rev of how it happened)

Ill never own an older tractor without some sort of homemade ROPS.