Amish teen dies in farm accident

/ Amish teen dies in farm accident
I have never worked using an implement behind a team but have used horses/mules to skid logs. A smart horse or mule that has been skidding for a while seems to know their part of the job.

Wouldn't the mules have noticed the operator left the platform and stopped or even if they did, not enough time to make a difference?

Seems odd.

Dave

Last edited:
   / Amish teen dies in farm accident #4  
This happened about 10 minutes from my home. The disc came to rest on top of the operator after he fell from the platform. He died from asphyxia. There was another Amish boy killed locally this summer in a farming accident. A 7 yo boy was riding in a bin of shelled corn being pulled by his father. He fell into the loose corn and couldn't get out. There are multiple farming deaths in this area every year, mostly Amish children, mostly preventable.

/ Amish teen dies in farm accident #5  
Wouldn't the mules have noticed the operator left the platform and stopped or even if they did, not enough time to make a difference?
Maybe a bit inappropriate, but i immediately thought of the Toyota gas pedal problem... Its not just drive-by-wire technology that has a mind of its own... ;)