Another Amish boy dies in farm accident

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #11  
I for one, consider Island Tractor to be way off base!! Buick and deere was simply stating a fact regarding the Amish belief regarding this type of thing.
He did not imply that anyones loss was any more insignificant than any others, only how one group handles tragedy. How you can relate his statement to the Vietnam thing is beyond me.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #13  
I for one, consider Island Tractor to be way off base!! Buick and deere was simply stating a fact regarding the Amish belief regarding this type of thing.
He did not imply that anyones loss was any more insignificant than any others, only how one group handles tragedy. How you can relate his statement to the Vietnam thing is beyond me.

Go back to Buick's original stAtement. It is stupid and insensitive. Virtually all religions have some sort of "it is God's way" statement. Amish mourn losses just as much as anyone else. To say that one child will not be missed is just stupid and insensitive.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #14  
Well, I disagree.

"Amish don't seem to worry much about safety. Hardly miss one kid gone out of a dozen."
This, clearly, is a statement made carelessly implying that the Amish are brutish and do not consider a child's life as significant. The term, Gook, was tossed around carelessly and implied that their life was not worth consideration. I see the similarity.

The concept of predestination has long been a thread in Christian doctrine and within many belief systems. Details in this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #15  
Well, I disagree.

"Amish don't seem to worry much about safety. Hardly miss one kid gone out of a dozen."
This, clearly, is a statement made carelessly implying that the Amish are brutish and do not consider a child's life as significant. The term, Gook, was tossed around carelessly and implied that their life was not worth consideration. I see the similarity.

The concept of predestination has long been a thread in Christian doctrine and within many belief systems. Details in this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination

That comment was brutal and nasty and has absolutely nothing to do with predestination. It is unacceptable to say that a parent won't miss a child simply because they have more or they believe in God. Sweeping characterizations like that are bigoted and sociopathic.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #16  
well, my response had two paragraphs...the first related to the the first two sentences of the post under discussion which are just as inappropriate as tossing the term "Gook" around.

Second paragraph points out that the concept of predestination is not uniquely Amish (dunno if they believe in it or not, not being an expert in that belief system), but rather widely held by other religious organizations.

So, fundamentally, gwiley, I think we are in agreement...

That comment was brutal and nasty and has absolutely nothing to do with predestination. It is unacceptable to say that a parent won't miss a child simply because they have more or they believe in God. Sweeping characterizations like that are bigoted and sociopathic.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #17  

Perfectly well said. Thank you as a parent one four little ones. I couldn't bring myself to say it as well as you did.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #18  
Amazing how many young people die on farms every year. An old girlfriend of mine had two brothers killed from different accidents before they were 18. Many other stories of similar tragedies.

Many more die of violence and cars. The loss of a young life is tragic, but lets keep some reasoning in our thoughs too.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #19  
I'm actually friends with a few Amish families scattered across a couple counties. Was just over visiting one family last week. The boys were in the wood shop working and the real little girls (2-3 years old) were playing around in the fathers archery shop. The rest of the kids were a couple miles down the road at school. We had a great time joking around with them and a local Sheriff. I see how he plays with his kids and treats them all regardless of male/female, young or old. Amish are the same as us, they just live a simpler life style. They play with their children just like any parent or grandparent would and while I am fortunate that none of my friends have lost a child personally I do know that if anyone young or old gets sick you can count on the entire community there to come together to help and support the people affected.

I found buicks post to be insensitive as well. Amish make mistakes and have accidents just like any other person or group. To assume they devalue human life because they have multiple children is stupid. These families will do anything and everything they can to get their children started on their own.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #20  
I don't think that's being fair
Amish don't seem to worry much about safety. Hardly miss one kid gone out of a dozen. They figure an " accident" was God's will anyways.