Another Amish boy dies in farm accident

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #31  
So it's ok to jump all over me because I'm upset about the lack of safety concerns my neighbours have for thier children?

No, it is because of the snide and callous manner in which you presented your half baked thoughts. You claim your post was sarcastic but it sure did not appear that way to any other readers. Nobody picked up on your supposed sarcasm and of the posters who did not "jump all over" you, at least two poor fools actually tried to defend a literal interpretation of your poorly constructed remarks regarding predestination. As there is no sarcasm font on these discussion boards anyone intending sarcasm needs to insure their intended meaning is understood either by an explicit statement, or with an emoticon, or at the very least by closely monitoring the conversation and subsequent posts to insure others got your intended sarcasm. You failed on all three accounts.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #32  
Another tragic accident involving a youngster working with a team of horses. Farming whether with mechanization or horses/mules is a dangerous business. Our veterinarian retired from a large animal practice in Southern MN, moved north but has continued to work primarily with small animals. He said that he counted 8 of his customers from the previous location having died in farm accidents.

Wis. Amish boy, 12, fatally trampled by horses | kare11.com

As a kid, I can recall many of our neighbors having limbs removed by the PTO accidents. One man even had to cut himself free with his own pocket knife. Another so distraught over his teenage Son's loss of a leg in a PTO accident that the guilt ridden father committed suicide by hanging himself in his barn latter that same year.
I was lucky....I was only scratched up a bit and lost my pant leg on my trousers to a PTO shaft when I was only twelve.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."
Nietzsche, Friedrich

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #33  
Some of you will be disappointed to find out that two days before Christmas. I took a pair of nearly new fall arrest harnesses , not the cheapo waist belt either. Along with a shock absorbing tether and gave them to my Amish carpenter neighbour.
Easy for some of you to talk the talk but I actually walked the walk and did something .

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #34  
To put a TBN poster on your IGNORE LIST, click on their name, view their profile.
IGNORE LIST is right under the SEND PM link.
Click that and answer YES.

Now, that person's posts, past, present and future no longer show up in threads you view.

It's wonderful to be able to electronically erase people when they are have proven themselves unworthy of my time and attention.

Try it...select someone's screen name and get started.

If the poster is violating TBN's posting policy sufficiently egregiously, I also report the post to the thread's moderator prior to IGNORE LISTing them.

I've done this to a handful of members whose posts I consistently find objectionable and who are impervious to understanding why.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #35  
Some of you will be disappointed to find out that two days before Christmas. I took a pair of nearly new fall arrest harnesses , not the cheapo waist belt either. Along with a shock absorbing tether and gave them to my Amish carpenter neighbour.
Easy for some of you to talk the talk but I actually walked the walk and did something .

It was your post, not your character, that was criticized as off base.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #36  
Not to make any excuses and I should have used some icons and explained myself better etc. I wasn't over thrilled with my Amish neighbor the day of that posting. He had just recently asked if he place a freezer in my house garage so he could make ice to haul home. And if I would also put an extension on my phone line into the garage for his use.
He can ride in my vehicle, use my phone, use my electricity. However he can't ride in his own vehicle, use his own phone or use his own electricity. Mighty handy double standard.
Previous day we seen a open buggy with small children on the road in a freezing rain storm. Seems it's a sin according to thier beliefs to use a closed in buggy during inclemant weather ? Too comfortable and luxurious.
Then there was two summers ago the local Amish concrete company tore down the powerline to my farm. They paid their neighbor to purchase, lisence and the trucks for them. Sunday afternoon the unlicensed Amish boys were out with the boom truck roaring down the road with the boom raised to make room for an ATV they were hauling. They clipped the line with the truck and pulled down the power pole on my side of the road. And cracked the trasformer pole on the other side of the road carrying three phase 7200V for the community. The truck skidded, regained control and drove full speed home through a stop sign at the highway. Hydro One could not even send a bill for repairs are the Amish hid behind some legal technicalities.
As for the sorrow of loosing a child. I've observed both the parents of my sister's boyfriend when he died in a wreck. And my Mother-inlaw's sister when she lost her 13yr old daughter to ovarian cancer. All the parents also "died" the same day as their children. They just just keep moving instead of falling down. A dull grey pain filled hollow shadow of who they used to be. Still that way decades later.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #37  
My friend's 23 yo daughter died unexpectantly last fall, and his Amish neighbors he lived next to 20 years ago came out in force to the wake and funeral as if they were still living next door. People are people, and feel loss, grief and sadness despite whatever religious beliefs that some may suggest, should divide us.

Last edited:
   / Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #38  
Not to make any excuses and I should have used some icons and explained myself better etc.
<snip>

We all have bad days and say things in a way we shouldn't have. You sound like a decent guy and one who is willing to take criticism to heart--a rare ability.

My wife grew up among the Amish south of Millersburg, OH. They are nice folks, but as my FIL noted, their interests don't always mesh well with the non-Amish. Things like school bond levies and road improvement funding can be hard to pass in areas with large Amish populations.

I guess the gist of your feelings is that perhaps this child's death was easily preventable and, just because he comes from an Amish family, that should not be excused? That is an argument with some merit in my opinion--leaving aside the grief that his family suffers just like any other. We sure have laid on the criticism of those whose children are killed or injured in things like lawn mower accidents, that are not Amish.

/ Another Amish boy dies in farm accident #39  
buickandeeres safety issue viewpoints would seem to be backed up by Old Order Anabaptist farm-related fatalities statistics.