Stupid Drivers!!

/ Stupid Drivers!! #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
Today I has a buddy of mine moving his tractor on the road get t-boned.He was making a left hand turn, when a dodge noen traveling approx. 40-50mph according to the police cross the yellow lines to pass him and hit him. Car disinigrated and front end loader on tractor is bent to nothing.Is it just me or do people not realize that they dont own the road!! 3 cracked ribs over trying to pass a tractor!! rant over

/ Stupid Drivers!! #2  
Sorry to hear that ! Were his trailer lights working ? How was the knuckelhead that hit him ?

/ Stupid Drivers!!
He was moving it to his rental property a few hundred yards down. He was riding it. I just dont understand how you miss a 4430 John Deere with the triangle.Of course the jackwagon was fine, but my buddy is hurtin!

/ Stupid Drivers!! #4  
Boy that stinks ! Hope he recovers quickly and he gets the Deere back in service .

/ Stupid Drivers!! #5  
People have no respect for others using the road. They think they own it. I like to keep an eye on traffic when roading, anticipating what other idiots might do. Try to be as visible as possible. Most people in my area are good with equiptment on the road as most have been around it there entire life. Sorry to hear about you friend.

Last edited:
   / Stupid Drivers!! #6  
A friend of my son did the same thing when he first got his license. He had gotten a nice looking Grand Am and was clearly thinking more about how cool his car was than the tractor and wagon ahead of him. Didn't slow down and started to pass and the tractor/wagon started to turn left into a farm. He swerved left missed the tractor and t-boned a large tree. Car was totalled, all the airbags deployed and he was fortunate to walk away with just severe bruising all over his chest and torso.

The only good thing was that he got a second chance. That was 3 years ago and he has been accident-free since then.

I told him then....NEVER just try to pass ANYTHING moving that slow....match the speed first, assess the situation, determine IF it's safe to pass, then when you can see it's safe - do it. And NEVER pass ANYTHING going that slow when there are driveways appraoching on the left.

It's just common sense, but I supppose not many people have that nowadays.

I grew up on a farm and we were right on a state highway with a 55MPH speedlimit. Our second property was about 1 mile down the road but on the opposite side so when going from one to the other you always had to make a left hand turn off of the state highway. After a few close calls we got into the habit of moving left of center about 500 feet before the intersection, that tended to encourage people to drop back in behind us and not try to pass. I was always the person running the grain wagons back and forth and I always worried about someone attepmting a pass just as I turned left into our farm. Fortunately for me it never happened.....

/ Stupid Drivers!! #7  
....match the speed first, assess the situation, determine IF it's safe to pass, then when you can see it's safe - do it. And NEVER pass ANYTHING going that slow when there are driveways appraoching on the left.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've looked back and seen no cars behind me, look forward again for a second and a soccer mom in her suv talking on the phone while chugging Starbuck's will fly right past doing 50 or 60 and never letting off the gas.

After a few close calls we got into the habit of moving left of center about 500 feet before the intersection, that tended to encourage people to drop back in behind us and not try to pass.

We do the same thing. :thumbsup: I try to have the left side tires completely on the wrong side of the double yellow well before turning. I've still had idiots pass me half way through my turning maneuver.

/ Stupid Drivers!! #9  
Been running farm machinery over the road since late 1980's for different farmers over the year. I have had many close calls, but never an accident. Just wonder what people are thinking? I've even had people pass my truck when it was clear I was making a left hand turn, slowing down with my blinker on.

A couple of weeks ago driving home I passed a car on a 4 lane divided road. In my rear view mirror I could see a truck a ways back inthe passing lane flying up behind me. I get back in my lane with time for him so he never had to slow down.

Whats this idoit do? Cuts in front of me and slams on his brakes to turn right into a parking lot. It might have saved him 1 second verses slowing down earlier and pulling in behind the car I just passed. I hit my brakes as soon as he cut in front of me, had I waited for his brake lights I think I would have hit him.

Sorry about your friend and his machine.

/ Stupid Drivers!! #10  
I hate to see it happen to anyone but in most if not all states, drivers/operators of vehicles without turn signals are required to give hand signals. left arm straight out is a left turn, arm out and up for right turn, out and down for stop. Whie no one knows if it would have helped at all or not no one will ever know. Also did your friend access the situation before making the turn? Unless he was pulling a large object he couldnt see around he should have easily seen the auto coming and been able to wait to make the turn. If he was pulling something he couldnt see around then he should have had someone following him with 4 way flashers flashing and able to toot the horn at him (an agreed upon pre arranged signal) to prevent such an accident.
It sounds like both parties were partially to blame.