Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE??

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Help!
I have been looking to obtain a couple of 200 gallon water tanks and I recently came across an alternative. A few weeks ago I saw a container with a FOR SALE sign on it. When I inquired I found out it was used for agricultural chemicals, and thnaks to the advice from folks on this forum, I walked away from this potential hazardous waste residue situation.
I have now come across similar containers (about 4x4x5 with bottom tap and top fill hole, a galvanized tubular outer cage on a hardwood pallet) but these ones were used for wall paper paste according to the seller. They have been pressure steam cleaned and the price is reasonable.
Is this another possible hazardous waste issue? or would these cleaned tanks be OK for hauling water from the river or pond for the garden, pool, etc?

Any comments appreciated.

Bob

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #2  
I think they'd be fine. Wallpaper paste is usually just starch and some binders (perhaps some acrylics). Think finely ground oatmeal, water, and some house paint...

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #3  
When I was a kid we had a girl down the street that used to eat wallpaper paste whenever she could. Last time I saw her she looked fine. I wouldn't worry about it. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #4  
If you use the containers to haul water to the pond, maybe any fish you catch will come out prebreaded!

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #5  
I agree with the others. As long as the've been steamed they'll be fine. They don't even recommend using gloves when applying the paste so that's an indication that it'll be safe.

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #6  
Probably the same ones you looked at before, they just changed the name of the contents so they could unload them! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would try one first. Like everybody else said, wallpaper paste is basically inert but I wouldn't know if it will leave an odor or a taste. Kind of like drinking out of a rubber water hose. It's not poisonous but it does have a funky odor and taste.

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #7  
Sounds to me like a "sticky situation"......Kids EAT about anything. I ate Vicks Vaporub when I was a kid. I was strange too. Come to think of it, I am still strange. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I ate Vicks Vaporub when I was a kid )</font>

I've done that, too, but it was under protest. Never could decide whether that stuff cured anything or whether you just told your parents you were better to avoid getting another dose. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know what's in commercial wallpaper paste, but I can remember helping with wallpaper when I was a kid and the "paste" was nothing more than flour and water that we mixed.

/ Used Wall Paper Paste containers - SAFE?? #9  
Bird:

As I have a "varied pallette", I think I remember eating some wallpaper paste too. Like I said, kids will eat ANYTHING !!

So will grownups, I like Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie mix that comes in the plastic wrapped tubes, unbaked. With a glass of cold milk naturally. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif