Laser sight question.

/ Laser sight question. #11  
Never looking into how they work but we have laser curtains at work that stop any moving equipment if a person enters the restricted space. They get used anywhere there's contact between people and robots or other moving machinery. For example the silicon wafers get placed in a boat that holds 25 and that gets placed in a box while being moved from one location to another. Often times people will either place (or pick up) the boxes on a platform. The laser curtain will prevent the robot from touching the box as long as there's an arm or hand in the danger area. Otherwise they just have shields in place. Sets off all sorts of alarms so once people set the alarm off once they learn not to cross the line. Of course there's also the mandatory daily testing of the system. Years ago we had someone seriously hurt because someone defeated the system while working on it and accidentally forgot to reset it.

/ Laser sight question. #13  
I bet it is!!! :)

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. As an optical person, that is how I would imagine creating this type of safety device. You have a laser and detector(s) which would have calibration to know the difference between a piece of wood and human skin. I'd still be concerned about getting the accuracy good enough though.

/ Laser sight question. #14  
I forget the name of the table saw , but if finger is detected near or about to hit blade , saw blade quits turning NOW... This came out about 3-5 yrs ago if I remember correctly. Sure beats loosing your fingers , a hand, or maybe your parts of your body if you fell across a running table saw blade.

/ Laser sight question. #15  
Sawstop uses a small electrical current to detect flesh. It might cause a tiny nip, but fires a cartridge to drive a metal stop into the blade so fast, it won't draw blood. It destroys the blade, and is a one shot cartridge (you can replace), but look Ma! Ten fingers! I've heard that guys cutting fiberglass can cause the system to fire. Don't know nothin about laser systems.

/ Laser sight question. #16  
Sawstop uses a small electrical current to detect flesh. It might cause a tiny nip, but fires a cartridge to drive a metal stop into the blade so fast, it won't draw blood. It destroys the blade, and is a one shot cartridge (you can replace), but look Ma! Ten fingers! I've heard that guys cutting fiberglass can cause the system to fire. Don't know nothin about laser systems.

I believe Sawstop can also be triggered by wet PT wood.

If you go to the Fine Woodworking website you can read for hours about SS, the inventor ( a laywer!), and a recent lawsuit.

/ Laser sight question. #17  
I believe Sawstop can also be triggered by wet PT wood.

If you go to the Fine Woodworking website you can read for hours about SS, the inventor ( a laywer!), and a recent lawsuit.

so post the link and keep us have having to search for it!