Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1. #11
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    657
    Location
    west central, iowa

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    As a working member a of a major rail road, for not quite 40 years. I too would like to hear this explanation! Being called out and told to bring my

    boom out and pick up what remains of a totaled out vehicle, either a car or pick-up truck. This is after the ambulance and/or coroner has left.

    My supervisor will not subject us to the immediate aftermath of an accident.

    T.J.
    M

  2. #12
    Super Member texasjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,552
    Location
    Central Texas, Jarrell
    Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Agreed....much easier to do now that I'm retired!!

    ALABAMA LYRICS

    I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why)

    I'm in a hurry to get things done
    Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
    All I really gotta do is live and die
    But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.

    Don't know why
    I have to drive so fast
    My car has nothing to prove
    It's not new
    But it'll do 0 to 60 in 5.2.

    Oh I'm in a hurry to get things done
    Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
    All I really gotta do is live and die
    But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.

    Can't be late
    I leave plenty of time
    Shaking hands with the clock
    I can't stop
    I'm on a roll and I'm ready to rock.

    Oh I'm in a hurry to get things done
    Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
    All I really gotta do is live and die
    But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.

    I hear a voice
    That say's I'm running behind
    I better pick up my pace
    It's a race
    And there ain't no room
    For someone in second place.

    I'm in a hurry to get things done
    Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
    All I really gotta do is live and die
    But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

    Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

  3. #13
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,565
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    I can see how the temptation happens.

    Where I grew up in NW Ohio with lots of rails going into and out of Toledo, the freight trains would block crossings on county roads out in the middle of nowhere. I think there was supposed to be a time limit, else they should break the train and clear the crossing for traffic. Well, that never happened. They would move the train another 100' down the rails and start the clock over.

    There was nothing worse than stopping for a train and then watch it slow down for.....ever....., and then finally stop. And then wonder if you should drive 10 miles around it or wait. Driving around down crossing gates and past warning lights was pretty common.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

  4. #14
    Elite Member DT86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,043
    Location
    SW VA
    Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hogheadCTD View Post

    ...Id like to hear about your "encounter".
    Me too. It's not like they make illegal left turns across oncoming traffic or jump out from behind bushes.

  5. #15
    Elite Member Mace Canute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,534
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Several years ago there was a local man who drove UNDER a moving train!

    Yes, alcohol was involved and I suspect it was a considerable amount! Anyways, this guy was headed home in the wee small hours and broadsided a moving train. He was driving a smaller Dodge convertible, not a full sized car, and hit a tank car at the only spot that it was possible to miss all the major components like the wheels, couplers and assorted piping and valves underneath. His car made it through, badly damaged, and he was beat up pretty good since everything above the dash had been knocked down. He was knocked backwards and the seat broke which was what saved him from being squished. Still and all, he made it through to the other side, of that there was no doubt!

  6. #16
    Elite Member sandman2234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,105
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Well, I guess I can tell the story, since all the litigation is over and settled.
    There are (or at least were at that time) two crossings in this town, where the train is required to stop, flag all vehicular and pedestrian traffic before shoving across. ( note that I said shoving, which means backing up to those not familiar with R/R terms). A bobtail truck crossed the intersection, made an immediate right turn, backed up and proceeded back across the tracks in a very low gear. A couple of factors kept the driver from seeing the train. One, it wasn't there when it crossed the track the first time. Two, the passenger mirror (yeah, they are huge) blocked the oncoming train as he backed up and proceeded forward, three the train either didn't blow the shoving platform horn (man on the rear said it worked one time then quit) but was damaged too badly in the accident to prove otherwise. There were no lights or signals at this intersection, only a cross buck. The driver was issued a citation, but located a rule book for the railroad in question and it named the crossing where the accident happened, and mandated that when shoving, the intersection had to be flagged for all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Now, since dismounting from a moving train is also against the rules, the employee on the rear of the train should have stopped the train, flagged the crossing, shoved the train across, stopped the train again and walked 17 cars to get back on the rear of the train. Since the train hit the truck at 16mph in a 15 mph speed zone, I am pretty sure the man on the rear didn't do his job, but it cost the truck driver his, because with a CDL the first offense of a grade crossing citation (not a wreck, but at ticket for any infraction) is punishable by a 60 day suspension of his license. After that,it is all downhill because a suspension keeps you out of a truck for 3-5 years and then no recent experience keeps you out again, so it is back to truck driving school, which the driver in question was certified to teach in his home state. It took 14 trips to court to get the issue settled, and the ticket dropped, plus a bucket-load of cash for attorneys.
    The conductor was working on his third strike, which could have gotten him fired, if he ever went back to work, but he fell down and cried "i am hurt" so it forever on workman's comp. If he EVER gets released, and goes back to work, he will be terminated for not telling the engineer to stop the train prior to reaching the intersection. The driver actually did stop (ie a three point turn in a standard shift truck so that wasn't ever a problem as far as legalities)
    The driver was just glad to be able to go back to work after sitting at home for six and a half months with no income.
    Make sense now?
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

  7. #17
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman2234 View Post
    Well, I guess I can tell the story, since all the litigation is over and settled.
    There are (or at least were at that time) two crossings in this town, where the train is required to stop, flag all vehicular and pedestrian traffic before shoving across. ( note that I said shoving, which means backing up to those not familiar with R/R terms). A bobtail truck crossed the intersection, made an immediate right turn, backed up and proceeded back across the tracks in a very low gear. A couple of factors kept the driver from seeing the train. One, it wasn't there when it crossed the track the first time. Two, the passenger mirror (yeah, they are huge) blocked the oncoming train as he backed up and proceeded forward, three the train either didn't blow the shoving platform horn (man on the rear said it worked one time then quit) but was damaged too badly in the accident to prove otherwise. There were no lights or signals at this intersection, only a cross buck. The driver was issued a citation, but located a rule book for the railroad in question and it named the crossing where the accident happened, and mandated that when shoving, the intersection had to be flagged for all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Now, since dismounting from a moving train is also against the rules, the employee on the rear of the train should have stopped the train, flagged the crossing, shoved the train across, stopped the train again and walked 17 cars to get back on the rear of the train. Since the train hit the truck at 16mph in a 15 mph speed zone, I am pretty sure the man on the rear didn't do his job, but it cost the truck driver his, because with a CDL the first offense of a grade crossing citation (not a wreck, but at ticket for any infraction) is punishable by a 60 day suspension of his license. After that,it is all downhill because a suspension keeps you out of a truck for 3-5 years and then no recent experience keeps you out again, so it is back to truck driving school, which the driver in question was certified to teach in his home state. It took 14 trips to court to get the issue settled, and the ticket dropped, plus a bucket-load of cash for attorneys.
    The conductor was working on his third strike, which could have gotten him fired, if he ever went back to work, but he fell down and cried "i am hurt" so it forever on workman's comp. If he EVER gets released, and goes back to work, he will be terminated for not telling the engineer to stop the train prior to reaching the intersection. The driver actually did stop (ie a three point turn in a standard shift truck so that wasn't ever a problem as far as legalities)
    The driver was just glad to be able to go back to work after sitting at home for six and a half months with no income.
    Make sense now?
    David from jax
    Clear as mud

    Although, I do know that there are crossings where they must be manually flagged(Ohio has a bunch of these). Most times they put road flares out and block all traffic til the train is done.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  8. #18
    Elite Member sandman2234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,105
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Clear as mud

    Although, I do know that there are crossings where they must be manually flagged(Ohio has a bunch of these). Most times they put road flares out and block all traffic til the train is done.
    That was kind of the problem, they didn't put out any flares, or even slow down. They just ran the "stop sign" that is part of their rule book and since they operate that area daily, they should know what the rule book says about it. The ticket was removed, by the judge at the officers request, when he was given a copy of the rulebook that the railroad employee was supposed to know and obey.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

  9. #19
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Quote Originally Posted by sandman2234 View Post
    That was kind of the problem, they didn't put out any flares, or even slow down. They just ran the "stop sign" that is part of their rule book and since they operate that area daily, they should know what the rule book says about it. The ticket was removed, by the judge at the officers request, when he was given a copy of the rulebook that the railroad employee was supposed to know and obey.
    David from jax
    I understand what you are saying, but the part I highlighted I need to question. Did that particular engineer and that particular conductor work that area everyday?

    The reason I ask is because I'm an over-the-road-trucker, and the locals in all areas I go to think I should know exactly where I'm going, should know where every stop sign is, I should know everything about the area that I'm in............but, I've never been there before.
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  10. #20
    Bronze Member hogheadCTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    81
    Location
    North Central Iowa
    Tractor
    70' John Deere 3020, 73' John Deere 2030 w/ JD 145 fel

    Default Re: Please slow down .

    Im not touching Sandmans post with a 10 foot pole. It would just ignite a p!ssing match 20 pages long. I see fault on both sides but I wasnt there so I wont speculate.
    Last edited by hogheadCTD; 01-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slow, SLOW self propelled mower
    By JDgreen227 in forum General Lawn & Garden
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM
  2. Slow
    By MDM in forum Mahindra Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2009, 04:06 PM
  3. slow.........
    By MessickFarmEqu in forum News/Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 09:33 AM
  4. Slow-Up
    By Chuck52 in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 05:59 PM
  5. Slow.
    By Thomas in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2000, 02:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.