Please slow down .

/ Please slow down . #11  
As a working member a of a major rail road, for not quite 40 years. I too would like to hear this explanation! Being called out and told to bring my

boom out and pick up what remains of a totaled out vehicle, either a car or pick-up truck. This is after the ambulance and/or coroner has left.

My supervisor will not subject us to the immediate aftermath of an accident.

T.J.
M

/ Please slow down . #12  
Agreed....much easier to do now that I'm retired!!

ALABAMA LYRICS

I'm In A Hurry (And Don't Know Why)

I'm in a hurry to get things done
Oh I rush and rush until life's no fun
All I really gotta do is live and die
But I'm in a hurry and don't know why.

Don't know why
I have to drive so fast
My car has nothing to prove
It's not new
But it'll do 0 to 60 in 5.2.

Oh I'm in a hurry to get things done

Can't be late
I leave plenty of time
Shaking hands with the clock
I can't stop
I'm on a roll and I'm ready to rock.

Oh I'm in a hurry to get things done

I hear a voice
That say's I'm running behind
I better pick up my pace
It's a race
And there ain't no room
For someone in second place.

I'm in a hurry to get things done

/ Please slow down . #13  
I can see how the temptation happens.

Where I grew up in NW Ohio with lots of rails going into and out of Toledo, the freight trains would block crossings on county roads out in the middle of nowhere. I think there was supposed to be a time limit, else they should break the train and clear the crossing for traffic. Well, that never happened. They would move the train another 100' down the rails and start the clock over.

There was nothing worse than stopping for a train and then watch it slow down for.....ever....., and then finally stop. And then wonder if you should drive 10 miles around it or wait. Driving around down crossing gates and past warning lights was pretty common.

/ Please slow down . #14  
...Id like to hear about your "encounter".

Me too. It's not like they make illegal left turns across oncoming traffic or jump out from behind bushes.

/ Please slow down . #15  
Several years ago there was a local man who drove UNDER a moving train!

Yes, alcohol was involved and I suspect it was a considerable amount! :D Anyways, this guy was headed home in the wee small hours and broadsided a moving train. He was driving a smaller Dodge convertible, not a full sized car, and hit a tank car at the only spot that it was possible to miss all the major components like the wheels, couplers and assorted piping and valves underneath. His car made it through, badly damaged, and he was beat up pretty good since everything above the dash had been knocked down. He was knocked backwards and the seat broke which was what saved him from being squished. Still and all, he made it through to the other side, of that there was no doubt!

/ Please slow down . #16  
Well, I guess I can tell the story, since all the litigation is over and settled.
There are (or at least were at that time) two crossings in this town, where the train is required to stop, flag all vehicular and pedestrian traffic before shoving across. ( note that I said shoving, which means backing up to those not familiar with R/R terms). A bobtail truck crossed the intersection, made an immediate right turn, backed up and proceeded back across the tracks in a very low gear. A couple of factors kept the driver from seeing the train. One, it wasn't there when it crossed the track the first time. Two, the passenger mirror (yeah, they are huge) blocked the oncoming train as he backed up and proceeded forward, three the train either didn't blow the shoving platform horn (man on the rear said it worked one time then quit) but was damaged too badly in the accident to prove otherwise. There were no lights or signals at this intersection, only a cross buck. The driver was issued a citation, but located a rule book for the railroad in question and it named the crossing where the accident happened, and mandated that when shoving, the intersection had to be flagged for all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Now, since dismounting from a moving train is also against the rules, the employee on the rear of the train should have stopped the train, flagged the crossing, shoved the train across, stopped the train again and walked 17 cars to get back on the rear of the train. Since the train hit the truck at 16mph in a 15 mph speed zone, I am pretty sure the man on the rear didn't do his job, but it cost the truck driver his, because with a CDL the first offense of a grade crossing citation (not a wreck, but at ticket for any infraction) is punishable by a 60 day suspension of his license. After that,it is all downhill because a suspension keeps you out of a truck for 3-5 years and then no recent experience keeps you out again, so it is back to truck driving school, which the driver in question was certified to teach in his home state. It took 14 trips to court to get the issue settled, and the ticket dropped, plus a bucket-load of cash for attorneys.
The conductor was working on his third strike, which could have gotten him fired, if he ever went back to work, but he fell down and cried "i am hurt" so it forever on workman's comp. If he EVER gets released, and goes back to work, he will be terminated for not telling the engineer to stop the train prior to reaching the intersection. The driver actually did stop (ie a three point turn in a standard shift truck so that wasn't ever a problem as far as legalities)
The driver was just glad to be able to go back to work after sitting at home for six and a half months with no income.
Make sense now?
David from jax

/ Please slow down . #17  
Well, I guess I can tell the story, since all the litigation is over and settled.
There are (or at least were at that time) two crossings in this town, where the train is required to stop, flag all vehicular and pedestrian traffic before shoving across. ( note that I said shoving, which means backing up to those not familiar with R/R terms). A bobtail truck crossed the intersection, made an immediate right turn, backed up and proceeded back across the tracks in a very low gear. A couple of factors kept the driver from seeing the train. One, it wasn't there when it crossed the track the first time. Two, the passenger mirror (yeah, they are huge) blocked the oncoming train as he backed up and proceeded forward, three the train either didn't blow the shoving platform horn (man on the rear said it worked one time then quit) but was damaged too badly in the accident to prove otherwise. There were no lights or signals at this intersection, only a cross buck. The driver was issued a citation, but located a rule book for the railroad in question and it named the crossing where the accident happened, and mandated that when shoving, the intersection had to be flagged for all vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Now, since dismounting from a moving train is also against the rules, the employee on the rear of the train should have stopped the train, flagged the crossing, shoved the train across, stopped the train again and walked 17 cars to get back on the rear of the train. Since the train hit the truck at 16mph in a 15 mph speed zone, I am pretty sure the man on the rear didn't do his job, but it cost the truck driver his, because with a CDL the first offense of a grade crossing citation (not a wreck, but at ticket for any infraction) is punishable by a 60 day suspension of his license. After that,it is all downhill because a suspension keeps you out of a truck for 3-5 years and then no recent experience keeps you out again, so it is back to truck driving school, which the driver in question was certified to teach in his home state. It took 14 trips to court to get the issue settled, and the ticket dropped, plus a bucket-load of cash for attorneys.
The conductor was working on his third strike, which could have gotten him fired, if he ever went back to work, but he fell down and cried "i am hurt" so it forever on workman's comp. If he EVER gets released, and goes back to work, he will be terminated for not telling the engineer to stop the train prior to reaching the intersection. The driver actually did stop (ie a three point turn in a standard shift truck so that wasn't ever a problem as far as legalities)
The driver was just glad to be able to go back to work after sitting at home for six and a half months with no income.
Make sense now?
David from jax
Clear as mud:thumbsup:

Although, I do know that there are crossings where they must be manually flagged(Ohio has a bunch of these). Most times they put road flares out and block all traffic til the train is done.

/ Please slow down . #18  
Clear as mud:thumbsup:

Although, I do know that there are crossings where they must be manually flagged(Ohio has a bunch of these). Most times they put road flares out and block all traffic til the train is done.

That was kind of the problem, they didn't put out any flares, or even slow down. They just ran the "stop sign" that is part of their rule book and since they operate that area daily, they should know what the rule book says about it. The ticket was removed, by the judge at the officers request, when he was given a copy of the rulebook that the railroad employee was supposed to know and obey.
David from jax

/ Please slow down . #19  
That was kind of the problem, they didn't put out any flares, or even slow down. They just ran the "stop sign" that is part of their rule book and since they operate that area daily, they should know what the rule book says about it. The ticket was removed, by the judge at the officers request, when he was given a copy of the rulebook that the railroad employee was supposed to know and obey.
David from jax
I understand what you are saying, but the part I highlighted I need to question. Did that particular engineer and that particular conductor work that area everyday?

The reason I ask is because I'm an over-the-road-trucker, and the locals in all areas I go to think I should know exactly where I'm going, should know where every stop sign is, I should know everything about the area that I'm in............but, I've never been there before.

/ Please slow down . #20  
Im not touching Sandmans post with a 10 foot pole. :laughing: It would just ignite a p!ssing match 20 pages long. I see fault on both sides but I wasnt there so I wont speculate.:2cents:

Last edited: