Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota Grand L5030HSTC

Default Re: Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor

He's a card carrying member of the extreme tractoring club!!

CompactTractorFan, you could do the same with your walk-behind mowers!! Just keep those feet movin'
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615 hst fel, bh

When clearing land we used to use dozers to fan brush piles while burning them. The fans blew air forward out of the engine compartment, not really a safe practice !!!!!!!!!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Boomer 50

LOL when burning brush piles I run around the pile several times with my sprayer tank, then fill it back up to stand at the ready before starting the fire.

xtn

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro

It does appear that it's working. Geez, I've been out mowing on days so hot the ground might as well have been on fire.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    LOL when burning brush piles I run around the pile several times with my sprayer tank, then fill it back up to stand at the ready before starting the fire.

xtn
    My uncles used to burn brush with a coupla feet of snow on the ground. Obviously worked well, but you may not have that option.

Around here (Central Ontario, Canada) lately we've had dry enough Winters that I recall a grass fire one January !

Rgds, D.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

It works for sure, but I bet his plastic hood doesn't look pretty now. I would consider that approach for a small grass fire if it threatened my house and I had nothing else otherwise just let it burn. It wont hurt the grass and it will come back faster in the spring than unburned areas. He could likely have done the same thing without putting his tractor in the flame buy just running the mower along the edge of the flame as they do cut past the wheels in most cases. The mower cut and blast of air might do the same thing. Either way, if it was threatening his home, sacrificing his $2-3K lawnmower is better than losing his house and likely only thing hurt if anything would be the plastic shell for hood and front bumper.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 29D

How about the plastic roller wheels that guide the deck?
    Hope the gas tank doesn't leak.
    TC-29DA
    BX-1500

Tractor
    Kubota L3750

I think he would have been better off mowing a fire break several feet out from the fire line instead of torching the mower like that since it was more just dry grass. Also agree that the first thing to do is call the Fire Department.
    1st Peter 1:6-9

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    It works for sure, but I bet his plastic hood doesn't look pretty now. I would consider that approach for a small grass fire if it threatened my house and I had nothing else otherwise just let it burn. It wont hurt the grass and it will come back faster in the spring than unburned areas. He could likely have done the same thing without putting his tractor in the flame buy just running the mower along the edge of the flame as they do cut past the wheels in most cases. The mower cut and blast of air might do the same thing. Either way, if it was threatening his home, sacrificing his $2-3K lawnmower is better than losing his house and likely only thing hurt if anything would be the plastic shell for hood and front bumper.

I had a similar situation as you described. The fire was headed for the neighbors house thru CRP land. I tried the lawn mower trick. Burned a perfectly good 318 mower to the ground!!!

The OP dodged a huge bullet with that trick. Might not be so lucky next time.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    I had a similar situation as you described. The fire was headed for the neighbors house thru CRP land. I tried the lawn mower trick. Burned a perfectly good 318 mower to the ground!!!

The OP dodged a huge bullet with that trick. Might not be so lucky next time.
    I don't think that was the OP. I'm pretty sure it was photo he found somewhere on the net.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast