Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #11  
He's a card carrying member of the extreme tractoring club!!

CompactTractorFan, you could do the same with your walk-behind mowers!!:cool2: Just keep those feet movin':drink:

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #12  
When clearing land we used to use dozers to fan brush piles while burning them. The fans blew air forward out of the engine compartment, not really a safe practice !!!!!!!!!

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #13  
LOL when burning brush piles I run around the pile several times with my sprayer tank, then fill it back up to stand at the ready before starting the fire.

xtn

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #14  
It does appear that it's working. Geez, I've been out mowing on days so hot the ground might as well have been on fire.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #15  
LOL when burning brush piles I run around the pile several times with my sprayer tank, then fill it back up to stand at the ready before starting the fire.

xtn

My uncles used to burn brush with a coupla feet of snow on the ground. Obviously worked well, but you may not have that option.

Around here (Central Ontario, Canada) lately we've had dry enough Winters that I recall a grass fire one January ! :shocked:

Rgds, D.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #16  
It works for sure, but I bet his plastic hood doesn't look pretty now. I would consider that approach for a small grass fire if it threatened my house and I had nothing else otherwise just let it burn. It wont hurt the grass and it will come back faster in the spring than unburned areas. He could likely have done the same thing without putting his tractor in the flame buy just running the mower along the edge of the flame as they do cut past the wheels in most cases. The mower cut and blast of air might do the same thing. Either way, if it was threatening his home, sacrificing his $2-3K lawnmower is better than losing his house and likely only thing hurt if anything would be the plastic shell for hood and front bumper.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #17  
How about the plastic roller wheels that guide the deck?
Hope the gas tank doesn't leak.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #18  
I think he would have been better off mowing a fire break several feet out from the fire line instead of torching the mower like that since it was more just dry grass. Also agree that the first thing to do is call the Fire Department.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #19  
It works for sure, but I bet his plastic hood doesn't look pretty now. I would consider that approach for a small grass fire if it threatened my house and I had nothing else otherwise just let it burn. It wont hurt the grass and it will come back faster in the spring than unburned areas. He could likely have done the same thing without putting his tractor in the flame buy just running the mower along the edge of the flame as they do cut past the wheels in most cases. The mower cut and blast of air might do the same thing. Either way, if it was threatening his home, sacrificing his $2-3K lawnmower is better than losing his house and likely only thing hurt if anything would be the plastic shell for hood and front bumper.

I had a similar situation as you described. The fire was headed for the neighbors house thru CRP land. I tried the lawn mower trick. Burned a perfectly good 318 mower to the ground!!!

The OP dodged a huge bullet with that trick. Might not be so lucky next time.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #20  
I had a similar situation as you described. The fire was headed for the neighbors house thru CRP land. I tried the lawn mower trick. Burned a perfectly good 318 mower to the ground!!!

The OP dodged a huge bullet with that trick. Might not be so lucky next time.
I don't think that was the OP. I'm pretty sure it was photo he found somewhere on the net.