Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor

NO way I would risk my equipment that way. Just too many risk factors for me.
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD
    2016 Ferris IS700Z 52" Briggs 27hp commercial turf series

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

What the photo doesn't show is what happened 10 seconds later when the plastic fuel tank finally started to melt and let out gas fumes that exploded and blew the operator to Mars. I don't know but it could have happened that way. I think running along side of the fire line with the side discharge hitting the flames to blow them out might work, and would sure be a heck of a lot safer.

James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I usually have a disk on the back of my tractor and would have ran a fire brake but if not, I think running down the middle like he was doing but with my FEL bucket skidding on the ground would have done the trick. If it caught back up, skid pass it again.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Pretty sure the drive belt on the deck failed about 10 seconds after that shot was taken.
    Tim.

Tractor
    Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, JD2210

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    I think running along side of the fire line with the side discharge hitting the flames to blow them out might work, and would sure be a heck of a lot safer.

James K0UA
    That's what I was doing. I had mowed a barrier around the CRP but the fire started creeping across that barrier. I ran along the fire, throwing trash back into the burn area. Not sure how, but eventually I got embers up on top of the trash covered deck. Once it started burning there was no putting it out. I learned my lesson.
    Richard

"Happiness isn't having everything you want, it's wanting everything you have."

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by ovrszd View Post
    That's what I was doing. I had mowed a barrier around the CRP but the fire started creeping across that barrier. I ran along the fire, throwing trash back into the burn area. Not sure how, but eventually I got embers up on top of the trash covered deck. Once it started burning there was no putting it out. I learned my lesson.
    Rut-ROE..I am sure that was not a good feeling
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Tractor
    MF 1529L

I remember about 7-8yrs ago in my old volley company we used a farmers JD and a set of disc's to put out a larger grass/brush fire we couldn't get to with the trucks..

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

On a full size diesel tractor maybe it would be OK. Rubbing it out with a FEL would work on a fire like that I expect.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I saw a d9 stall out in a field/brush fire outside of Wenatchee, small town in Eastern Washington state. All the metal looked like it survived, but anything flammable burned. An old timer advised the driver to not to try and put it out because the equipment wasn't equipped with a "snorkel" type air intake and would probably stall. Drive said he felt pretty safe until the engine died. I don't recall what the repair cost was but remembered it wasn't cheap.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by cqaigy2 View Post
    I saw a d9 stall out in a field/brush fire outside of Wenatchee, small town in Eastern Washington state. All the metal looked like it survived, but anything flammable burned. An old timer advised the driver to not to try and put it out because the equipment wasn't equipped with a "snorkel" type air intake and would probably stall. Drive said he felt pretty safe until the engine died. I don't recall what the repair cost was but remembered it wasn't cheap.
    So the engine starves of oxygen and dies?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast