Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #21  
NO way I would risk my equipment that way. Just too many risk factors for me.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #22  
What the photo doesn't show is what happened 10 seconds later when the plastic fuel tank finally started to melt and let out gas fumes that exploded and blew the operator to Mars. :D I don't know but it could have happened that way.:) I think running along side of the fire line with the side discharge hitting the flames to blow them out might work, and would sure be a heck of a lot safer.

James K0UA

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #23  
I usually have a disk on the back of my tractor and would have ran a fire brake but if not, I think running down the middle like he was doing but with my FEL bucket skidding on the ground would have done the trick. If it caught back up, skid pass it again.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #24  
Pretty sure the drive belt on the deck failed about 10 seconds after that shot was taken.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #25  
I think running along side of the fire line with the side discharge hitting the flames to blow them out might work, and would sure be a heck of a lot safer.

James K0UA

That's what I was doing. I had mowed a barrier around the CRP but the fire started creeping across that barrier. I ran along the fire, throwing trash back into the burn area. Not sure how, but eventually I got embers up on top of the trash covered deck. Once it started burning there was no putting it out. I learned my lesson.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #26  
That's what I was doing. I had mowed a barrier around the CRP but the fire started creeping across that barrier. I ran along the fire, throwing trash back into the burn area. Not sure how, but eventually I got embers up on top of the trash covered deck. Once it started burning there was no putting it out. I learned my lesson.

Rut-ROE..I am sure that was not a good feeling:ashamed:

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #27  
I remember about 7-8yrs ago in my old volley company we used a farmers JD and a set of disc's to put out a larger grass/brush fire we couldn't get to with the trucks..

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #28  
On a full size diesel tractor maybe it would be OK. Rubbing it out with a FEL would work on a fire like that I expect.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #29  
I saw a d9 stall out in a field/brush fire outside of Wenatchee, small town in Eastern Washington state. All the metal looked like it survived, but anything flammable burned. An old timer advised the driver to not to try and put it out because the equipment wasn't equipped with a "snorkel" type air intake and would probably stall. Drive said he felt pretty safe until the engine died. I don't recall what the repair cost was but remembered it wasn't cheap.

/ Extinguishing a brush fire with a lawn tractor #30  
I saw a d9 stall out in a field/brush fire outside of Wenatchee, small town in Eastern Washington state. All the metal looked like it survived, but anything flammable burned. An old timer advised the driver to not to try and put it out because the equipment wasn't equipped with a "snorkel" type air intake and would probably stall. Drive said he felt pretty safe until the engine died. I don't recall what the repair cost was but remembered it wasn't cheap.

So the engine starves of oxygen and dies?