Fatal tractor accident while removing snow

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow #2  
Not yet, but the was a one sentence blurb on Fox News or CNN in an article about the snow storm we just had.
Maybe one of our NY members will provide more info...

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow #4  
We seldom think that an accident can happen to you . . . more the reason to stay alert and be careful when operating your tractor and any power equipment!

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow #5  
We seldom think that an accident can happen to you . . . more the reason to stay alert and be careful when operating your tractor and any power equipment!
I agree. Accidents can happen at any time, especially when operating equipment in hazardous environments and conditions.

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow #6  
We have new tires on the BH now but the first winter I was using it going up a paved hill that was banked due to a curve near the top. The wet snow was building up so the rears started to spin so I went off the pavement on the low side even when trying to back down the hill. Due to there being a small side ditch before the steep drop off I was OK but have since picked up a used 7' rear blade for the 265 MF so in case we get a winter snow that requires blading the county road up to our house.

The weight of a tractor is not your friend on sloping hard slick surfaces.

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow
Definitely noticed yesterday while plowing that the edges and holes were leveled out, made it really tough to tell what was under the snow. I luckily don't have any major drop offs and the few areas that I did have I kept a good distance from until i knew exactly where the edge was. It can also get seriously slick in just a little bit of time with these snow conditions. I noticed today on a hill that when I packed the snow down it was the perfect temperature to make it ice instantly, after the first pass I could barely move the tractor and started to go sideways. I had to use a shovel and some salt to get out, had I not noticed and it happened halfway up the hill it could have been a disaster.

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow #9  
A couple cheap driveway delineators would have saved the guy's life. Or a ROPS & seatbelt.

/ Fatal tractor accident while removing snow #10  
I was plowing a few years ago with my tractor. The day before was relativly warm. About 8" of snow fell and it now was very cold. As I plowed the snow from a driveway that was sloped I had good traction and the tractor easily moved the snow. Some minutes later I made a second pass and now the pavement started to freeze and I found myself sliding sideways down the driveway. I was sure I was going to roll as I hit the edge of the drive way at the bottom but the tractor slid around and I went over the edge moving forward and not sideways.

The conditions changed so fast. Most of us know to wear the seatbelt for the unexpected, not the expected condtions

The accident report did not mention either seatbelt or ROPS. Maybe neither was available?