Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

Default Re: How to start a chainsaw

They often refer to this type of pictures as " nominated for the Darwin award"

Well, this would wipe out the bad genes from the population first hand, not by survial of the fittest !
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 2.5 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4300

When I try to start my Stihl on the ground it always flips up. I can do it on a stump or log but these old bones just don't fold the way they usta...

Tractor
    55 Super John Deere 5303

Chainsaw or any two stroke motors will start better if you just pull the starter rope very slowly three or four times first. You are just trying to prime the motor first. If you try this you will be surprised how often the motor will start with out a hard pull on the rope. Please try this you will be surprised. By slow I mean just chugging the motor over.

Tractor
    Bx2360

Looks to me like he gut the saw stuck trying to cut that little limb sticking out of his real tree camo and is now trying to restart it to finish the cut. The instructions with my new Husky 455 said you could engage the safety break start the saw and then reset the break? Wouldn't this wear out the break?

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Years ago a friend and I rented a cabin at a lake that rented boats. There was a young fellow there tending to the rental boats. We were sitting on a bench watching this fellow as he pulled a 5 HP Mercury motor off the back of one of the these boats. He carried the motor a few feet then for some reason he rested the prop on the wooden dock and while holding the motor with one arm he tried to start the motor. It started on the second pull. The prop dug into the wood dock and he was one busy puppy for about ten seconds until that motor ran out of gas. He came within inches of going into the lake. Motor and all.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by GBOUTDOORS View Post
    Looks to me like he gut the saw stuck trying to cut that little limb sticking out of his real tree camo and is now trying to restart it to finish the cut. The instructions with my new Husky 455 said you could engage the safety break start the saw and then reset the break? Wouldn't this wear out the break?
    Eventually. Better the brake then your leg.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Kubota Grand L3830

I don't think this is being looked at with a proper perspective. I don't see any warning labels on the saw saying don't start this way. So if he actually started the saw, the civil suit against the manufacture who be enormous. He would retire on disability and live a life of leisure for every more on the huge jury awarded judgment while lamenting how a sorry saw manufacture caused him severe physical, emotional and all other pains.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    G1800AWS, B3030HSDCC, L3540HSTCC

Quote Originally Posted by Gator6x4 View Post
    I don't think this is being looked at with a proper perspective. I don't see any warning labels on the saw saying don't start this way. So if he actually started the saw, the civil suit against the manufacture who be enormous. He would retire on disability and live a life of leisure for every more on the huge jury awarded judgment while lamenting how a sorry saw manufacture caused him severe physical, emotional and all other pains.
    He might get a huge settlement, but he won't be able to leave an inheritance to his children!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    B26

I'm not the Safety Police so please don't dump on me but there are a lot of things wrong with that picture. No safety glasses, no chaps, no helmet, no hearing protection, no gloves.

I almost did myself some real harm a couple of years ago. I'd been using a chainsaw without chaps for years, wearing just jeans. One day I woke up and bought a pair of chaps. Not six months later I was cutting brush at the end of a long day and was bagged. Without thinking I rested the still moving chain on my leg. The Kevlar did what it's supposed to and stopped the chain dead in it's tracks. Someone later said chainsaws don't cut, they rip! Looking at the damage to the chaps I would have likely bled out befiore I got help. Apart from a good pair of chaps ruined I walked away without a scratch.

I now look like RoboCop. I wear an approved helmet with face shield, chaps, steel toed boots, hearing protection and I just bought a Kevlar vest and Kevlar gloves. I get ribbed every so often but I still have the old chaps as a reminder!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234