Bee's versus my BX22!

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #11  
Re: Bee\'s versus my BX22!

I've never seen a nest built on a window like that before. Great photo. I'll bet you spent a lot of time watching them.

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #12  

Ouch! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Glad you doing better. Yellow jackets are in the hornet family. That's why it hurts so bad. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Remember, September is the worst month (at least in our area) for bees, wasps and hornets!

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #13  

I'm with you. I'd knock that down right away !!

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #14  

When I was around 12 or so my Uncle took me squirrel hunting for the first time. I had saved my money from my paper route and purchased a Ruger Super Single Six 22 Pistol. It was my pride and joy. I had saved every penny I made for over six months to buy that gun. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My Uncle had made a holster for me and we "loaded" up and headed off to hunt. Of course we had shot guns for the "real" hunting, but I took the six shooter along as well. As we were walking through the woods I brushed a tree limb and we were suddenly surrounded by a very large and angry mob of wasps. I took two stings to the neck and arm while running as fast as we could out of there. Luckily they didn't chase us so we were out of danger in just a bit. We resumed our trek through the woods and about 100 yards further on I saw something I wanted to take a shot at with the pistol. Can't even recall what it was, but I can recall the panic when I reached down and found my pride and joy was missing! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

We surmised that the gun had worked its way loose during our hasty retreat from the wasps, so we headed back to try to find the pistol. Unfortunately, the first thing we found was that darn wasp nest! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Several new stings later, and while running, I spotted the six shooter and scooped it up. Having lost a good deal of our humor at that point, we decided the wasps had to go. We carefully scouted the area and found the nest in an old oak tree, about 7 feet off the ground. Taking the shotgun I proceeded to blow a hole roughly the size of the nest directly above the somewhat startled wasps (never said I was a good shot). Second try did the trick and the wasps, and their hive were no more. Now some 35 years later, I still have that pistol and the memory of my first real hunting trip. Wasp hunting that is! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #15  

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ive heard they taste like chicken. Did you get any mounted? Were they difficult to skin? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #16  

Naw, funny thing about buckshot and a wasp - they're just about the same size. Not much "meat" left for eat'n. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #17  

Speaking of yellow jackets I remember a story. When I was about 5 years old I was out by our pool. We had a water slide that went into the pool. I was climping up the slide to go down it. When I reached the top bees had built a nest under the slide and came out. I got stung a couple of times but one got in my right eye. It was probally the most pain I have ever felt. My eye was sore for a week and swelled all up. That is about all I can remember.

It was good that there was somebody around when this happened. If your wife or son wouldn't have been there it would have been a lot worse. Glad your doing better

Dave

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #18  

Well Dave, Glad your doing better. Seems like you did the smart thing by going back to the house.

I always tell my wife, where, what I am doing, and when I should be done. She is great at checking up on me. And I do make it a habit of coming back to the house for a break.

You just never know..... and those yellow jackets, I hit a nest once and got stung three times before I got moving... and they were getting more of me when I stuck it in overdrive! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Me running, I abandoned the equipment. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Mike Z.

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #19  

I ended up at the doctor yesterday with a severe but delayed allergic reaction to bee stings.

Last week I was digging and clearing brush out of my creek when something bit me above the right knee. Really painful. Never saw what it was. The next day I discovered that there was a bee's nest under my wooden plank bridge. Maybe they were yellow jackets or hornets ... I don't know the difference. But they weren't wasps. I had stirred them up while pounding down nails in the planks. They came after me and I got about 2 bites on the lower legs.

Max, my stickaholic german shepard, of course has to come over to the bridge to investigate. He gets covered by the bees and I have to drag him into the creek to splash them off. Get bit on the lower legs 2 or 3 more times.

The first 24 hours the sting spots swell and are painful. Then, they become swollen and very itchy for about 3 days. Two days ago I start to get hives and swellings all over my body, from feet to neck--all itchy. Benedryl has no effect. Yesterday, I wake up with swollen hands and face, and feel nauseous, very weak, and have difficulty swallowing. Now some of the hives are very painful (burning), others itchy, and still others painful and itchy at the same time.

Off to the doctor. Doc thinks it was a serious delayed allergic reaction to the bites. Not anaphylactic shock; that happens within 30 minutes of the bites and will kill you shortly after. Gives me a prescription for cortisone steroid. The hives and swelling seem to be diminishing today.

The worse news. Doc thinks this exposure may have sensitized me to bee venom and that the next sting episode may bring on anaphylactic shock. Prescribes me an epipen for autoinjection and gives me a video on how to use it. Strongly recommends I see an allergist to determine whether in fact I am now allergic to bee venom. Yikes and yuck!

Last summer I was felled for a month with erlichiosis, a tick disease. I'm beginning to dislike bugs.

/ Bee's versus my BX22! #20  

Sorry to hear of your newly acuired allergy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I know that I was never allergic to seafood, shrimp in particular, until the last time I ate it. Broke out in hives, itched and stuff. Wasn't too bad, but the doctor said to watch out for the next time. Could be much worse. Since then I have tried one bite of shrimp every time I see it, with now adverse reaction. But I am scared to do the all-you-can-eat thing now /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif