Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
Another tragic accident involving moving & lifting a heavy object with a tractor. So unfortunate for this man, and his family. This reminds of another accident that I remember seeing on tv many, many years ago. A retired doctor up in Ohio or Pa (don't remember which for sure) was moving a round hay bale that was being carried by the FEL on the tractor. Apparently he was carrying it lifted pretty high with a single chain that was wrapped around the bale. The chain broke and allowed the bale to roll down the loader arms, onto the tractors hood, and off the back of the tractor, crushing the operator. I think this may have happened even been before ROPS were mandated on new tractors. It sounds like the tractor being used in the accident below may not have had a ROPS either. That might possibly have allowed the operator to survive??

Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man, Kills Him | wltx.com (NO pictures in link)

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) - Anderson County authorities are looking into the death of man who died when a bale of hay that weighed as much as 1,000 pounds rolled onto him. WYFF reported that authorities were called Sunday morning to the farm. They say his son went to look for the man when he didn't return home from a pasture.

Authorities said the man was moving the hay with an old tractor with a front end that resembled a forklift. Investigators said while the bale was lifted off the ground, it rolled back over the tractor and onto the man. The bale was estimated to weigh between 800 and 1,000 pounds.

Emergency crews at the scene tried but failed to resuscitate him.

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #2  
It always makes me uneasy when I see someone lift a round bale with forks, just for this reason.

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #3  
   / Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #4  
Yep read that too about SC farmer. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #5  
I offer my condolences to the Family. Hopefully your thread will help serve as a reminder for EVERYONE to use caution when performing such tasks.

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #6  
Another tragic accident involving moving & lifting a heavy object with a tractor. So unfortunate for this man, and his family. This reminds of another accident that I remember seeing on tv many, many years ago. A retired doctor up in Ohio or Pa (don't remember which for sure) was moving a round hay bale that was being carried by the FEL on the tractor. Apparently he was carrying it lifted pretty high with a single chain that was wrapped around the bale. The chain broke and allowed the bale to roll down the loader arms, onto the tractors hood, and off the back of the tractor, crushing the operator. I think this may have happened even been before ROPS were mandated on new tractors. It sounds like the tractor being used in the accident below may not have had a ROPS either. That might possibly have allowed the operator to survive??

Think this is it:

Rescue 911 - Episode 512 - "Dr.'s Hay Crush" (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #7  
Sad indeed, I carry my bales with forks, but mine has a cage 4ft high, and I straddle the bale so if it does roll off its to the side not down on me. I usually don't lift it more than a few feet anyway just enough to move around.

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #9  
I remember seeing that episode when aired originally. I still remember saying to myself why would someone lift bales like that. Forks are one thing but a bucket way up in the air like that.

/ Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him #10  
Its really tragic when something like this happens when it could've been avoided by simply driving in reverse.