Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Default Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him

Another tragic accident involving moving & lifting a heavy object with a tractor. So unfortunate for this man, and his family. This reminds of another accident that I remember seeing on tv many, many years ago. A retired doctor up in Ohio or Pa (don't remember which for sure) was moving a round hay bale that was being carried by the FEL on the tractor. Apparently he was carrying it lifted pretty high with a single chain that was wrapped around the bale. The chain broke and allowed the bale to roll down the loader arms, onto the tractors hood, and off the back of the tractor, crushing the operator. I think this may have happened even been before ROPS were mandated on new tractors. It sounds like the tractor being used in the accident below may not have had a ROPS either. That might possibly have allowed the operator to survive??

Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man, Kills Him | wltx.com (NO pictures in link)

ANDERSON, S.C. (AP) - Anderson County authorities are looking into the death of man who died when a bale of hay that weighed as much as 1,000 pounds rolled onto him. WYFF reported that authorities were called Sunday morning to the farm. They say his son went to look for the man when he didn't return home from a pasture.

Authorities said the man was moving the hay with an old tractor with a front end that resembled a forklift. Investigators said while the bale was lifted off the ground, it rolled back over the tractor and onto the man. The bale was estimated to weigh between 800 and 1,000 pounds.

Emergency crews at the scene tried but failed to resuscitate him.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Bale of Hay Rolls onto SC Man Killing Him

It always makes me uneasy when I see someone lift a round bale with forks, just for this reason.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

This strikes close to home -- I'm next door in Oconee County.

I'm reminded of another accident involving round bales. A British rock star was killed when a round bale rolled down a hillside and smashed into his van: BBC News - ELO's Mike Edwards killed by hay bale in freak crash.

Steve

PMA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5325, CI Farmall 85U, Mccormick International 404

Yep read that too about SC farmer. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I offer my condolences to the Family. Hopefully your thread will help serve as a reminder for EVERYONE to use caution when performing such tasks.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Quote Originally Posted by kebo View Post
    Another tragic accident involving moving & lifting a heavy object with a tractor. So unfortunate for this man, and his family. This reminds of another accident that I remember seeing on tv many, many years ago. A retired doctor up in Ohio or Pa (don't remember which for sure) was moving a round hay bale that was being carried by the FEL on the tractor. Apparently he was carrying it lifted pretty high with a single chain that was wrapped around the bale. The chain broke and allowed the bale to roll down the loader arms, onto the tractors hood, and off the back of the tractor, crushing the operator. I think this may have happened even been before ROPS were mandated on new tractors. It sounds like the tractor being used in the accident below may not have had a ROPS either. That might possibly have allowed the operator to survive??
    Think this is it:

Rescue 911 - Episode 512 - "Dr.'s Hay Crush" (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    Kubota MX4700

Sad indeed, I carry my bales with forks, but mine has a cage 4ft high, and I straddle the bale so if it does roll off its to the side not down on me. I usually don't lift it more than a few feet anyway just enough to move around.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

Quote Originally Posted by CompactTractorFan View Post
    Yep, that was it!!!! For some reason that one video clip stuck in my mind, even though that was before I ever got "into" tractors.
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Veteran Member

I remember seeing that episode when aired originally. I still remember saying to myself why would someone lift bales like that. Forks are one thing but a bucket way up in the air like that.
    '11 John Deere 5065M /cab
    '10 Kubota L3940 w/FEL
    '09 JD X720
    '91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
    '78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3000 & Ford 4400

Its really tragic when something like this happens when it could've been avoided by simply driving in reverse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast