A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #1  

devildog1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's
ad.php
This accident is about 15 miles from where I live, sad story my prayers goes out to this family.
DeviDog

Boy dies in fall from tractor on Canajoharie,N.Y. farm

Sunday, March 10, 2013

CANAJOHARIE A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor his uncle was driving and was run over by the machine.

The Montgomery County Sheriff痴 Office responded to the scene on South Buel Road in Canajoharie around 3 p.m. Friday. An investigation revealed that the boy was the passenger and his uncle the driver of the tractor, deputies said. While the uncle was driving the tractor down the road, the boy lost his balance and fell, deputies said. The uncle unsuccessfully tried to catch him and the child was hit by one of the tractor's tires, deputies said.
The Montgomery County Coroner痴 Office pronounced the child dead at the scene.
Sheriff痴 investigators and state police conducted an accident reconstruction, and received help at the scene from Mid County EMS, the Canajoharie and Ames Fire departments, and county Emergency Management personnel.
At this time, the names of the victim and the tractor driver are not being released, deputies said.
DevilDog
A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor
ad.php

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #2  
This is really tragic because no 4yr old child has any business being allowed on a farm tractor. I am sure the uncle regrets his decision to ride the young boy on it now, but he will have to live with the result the rest of his life. Just awful for him and the child's family.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #3  
I offer my Prayers for everyone affected by this tragedy.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #4  
It is sad. Rates right up there with rolling over while mowing on a side hill.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #5  
Where was he riding? On the seat? Standing on the running board?
It sounds like the situation was poorly controlled.

I doubt he would have fallen overboard had he been riding with the uncle on the seat, although it does restrict access to the controls, and can be distracting to have a youngster on the seat. Perhaps ok for the open field, but not where tight maneuvering is required.

One has to learn about heavy equipment sometime, but also to know that it isn't a "toy". And, of course, the adult should anticipate things that could go wrong before they happen.

I must have been 13 or so before we got our first tractor, and I know my father was always very careful with where we would ride on the equipment, and what we would be doing at the time. But, at that age, I think I was already driving it some.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #6  
Regrettable & as sad as it is, the harsh reality is children (& anyone) as passengers have no place in/around the operating area of a tractor - if there aren't passenger seats, seat belts & an enclosed cab it should be a no brainer.

I never understand how anyone can value (for the child) the fun of a few minutes riding on a tractor over the high risk of serious injury or potential loss of life.

These tragedies happen far too often - unfortunately farm machinery is very unforgiving for those who don't appreciate/respond to associated risks.

IMO, as an operator of machinery you accept accountability for the safe use of that machinery.

Last edited:
   / A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #7  
Very sad indeed.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #8  
Tragic....my thoughts go out to all involved. I am sure the uncle regrets his mistake but what a terrible thing to live with. Hopefully.....this accident will prevent others from doing something similar.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #9  
Prayers and thoughts go out to this family. What a terrible accident.

/ A 4-year-old boy was killed when he fell off a farm tractor #10  
My great-nephew thinks I'm a nasty guy because I won't let him ride in the tractor cab with me like his grandpa does. None of my brother-in-laws cabs have a full complement of windows and no buddy seat. Of course I always did it when I was a kid - my cousin or I would ride out to the fields on our old Farmalls, one hand holding the light bar and the other the seat edge while standing on the axle housing and platform (transmission cover). Now I cringe thinking about it. The only serious accident I had during those growing up years was a thumb massed in a PTO shaft but there were so many close calls.