But for the grace of God....this could be one of us....

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #2  
That is terrible. You gotta figure that the guy has to know it was him, I doubt he got where he was going and didn't realize there used to be a ladder up there. This article will probably scare him away from turning himself in, though it is kind of confusing

Georgia State Troopers say that the driver who was carrying the ladder is liable and faces criminal charges.

Later in the article it says this

Chandler said it was unlikely that any charges would be filed in the crash.

Is this because they don't think they will be able to figure out who it was

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #3  
Is this because they don't think they will be able to figure out who it was

probably no charges for anyone involved in the crash... I'm sure they'll try hard to get the driver who lost the ladder.
I tie my ladder down with nylon rope, then use bungee cords to stop it from rattling.

Pete

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #4  
Years ago WFOX in Atlanta had a call in show that aired at the afternoon rush hour where drivers called in all the different items that had fallen of vehicles...ladders were almost always the most reported items...along with mattresses, washing machines, refrigerators etc...etc...

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #5  
It's so common in SoCal that the news breaks in the afternoon, and sometimes morning drive often starts with "Well, we've got our first ladder of the day in the..."

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #6  
“Troopers are going to run down what caused the accident,” McDonough said. “Most things that have been purchased recently have a bar code that shows who bought it, when it was purchased and where it was purchased.” He advised the driver who lost the ladder to turn him- or herself in to authorities.

It's my opinion that this is a flat-out fabrication, designed to convince the driver to turn him or her-self in. Yes, they have a bar code. But the bar code is seldom specific to the store that sold the item, unless the item is store-brand specific. And the bar code doesn't track back to who purchased the item, since all items of that same type have the same bar code.

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us....
It's my opinion that this is a flat-out fabrication, designed to convince the driver to turn him or her-self in. Yes, they have a bar code. But the bar code is seldom specific to the store that sold the item, unless the item is store-brand specific. And the bar code doesn't track back to who purchased the item, since all items of that same type have the same bar code.

I agree with you...but I'm sure they have finger prints and they will print this ladder...trust me...whoever dropped it is just taking a gamble....but I know what you mean...they well could be trying to bluff the driver to turn themselves in....Scary...I feel sorry for all involved ..

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #8  
I agree with you...but I'm sure they have finger prints and they will print this ladder...trust me...whoever dropped it is just taking a gamble....but I know what you mean...they well could be trying to bluff the driver to turn themselves in....Scary...I feel sorry for all involved ..

I tell you what: if it was me, I'm not sure I wouldn't put my head down and cross my fingers. I dunno. I would feel guilty that somebody died, and maybe I would feel guilty enough to turn myself in. But IMO the chances of them actually catching this person if they don't turn themselves in are low, and I'm not sure I wouldn't be scared enough to try to get out of it. They're just going to have to get lucky and somebody saw the plate or something. Fingerprints off the ladder? Only useful if the person has a criminal record and is in a database somewhere, right?

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #9  
Or was ever in the military, has a concealed weapons permit, has a Port pass (TWIC), has any class III weapons and the list probably goes on and on...
Fingerprints are getting pretty common but if the owner cut his finger on a sharp corner and left some DNA... now they might not have that on file YET!
David from jax

I tell you what: if it was me, I'm not sure I wouldn't put my head down and cross my fingers. I dunno. I would feel guilty that somebody died, and maybe I would feel guilty enough to turn myself in. But IMO the chances of them actually catching this person if they don't turn themselves in are low, and I'm not sure I wouldn't be scared enough to try to get out of it. They're just going to have to get lucky and somebody saw the plate or something. Fingerprints off the ladder? Only useful if the person has a criminal record and is in a database somewhere, right?

/ But for the grace of God....this could be one of us.... #10  
I once ran over a ladder in the highway in a low sports car (Honda S2000) and it was a miracle nothing got damaged and nobody got hurt. It was lined up long way in the direction of travel, and right where one side of the car's wheels would ride over it. I remember seeing it, mentally thinking "ladder!" and then the car was bap-bap-bap-bap-bap-bap-bap-bap driving over the rungs before I could react. Talking to a state trooper later on, he told me it's extremely common, and they take it very seriously. In the wrong position, a ladder in the road can cause a major wreck like what happened in the story linked here. That's a real tragedy. The responsible driver sure should be on the hook for this.