Accident Waiting to Happen

/ Accident Waiting to Happen #11  
From James Wilkes comments on youtube when he uploaded the video:
The boys and I were getting oak logs to use for mushrooms out of the woods on the trailer. When I turned around to make sure no logs were falling off the trailer, I drove the front of the tractor into a branch next to the road. After trying to back out and using a come-along to no avail, I decided to drive down the hill and into the creek. It was a little hairy at times, though hard to tell from the video, and required taking down two fences, several small trees, and a big rock, but turned out okay. Much of the video is boring back and forth on the tractor, showing the persistence required to get out. We were quite happy in the end.

It appears he simply drove off the road because he wasn't looking where he was going!

A lot of educated people think that because they are educated, they are automatically smart and capable...this video shows that it isn't always so!

/ Accident Waiting to Happen #12  
From James Wilkes comments on youtube when he uploaded the video:

It appears he simply drove off the road because he wasn't looking where he was going!

A lot of educated people think that because they are educated, they are automatically smart and capable...this video shows that it isn't always so!
Here's an old saying from Appalachia: "Book Learning don't do you no good, if You ain't got Common Sense to go along with it".

/ Accident Waiting to Happen #13  
can you say 4WD

/ Accident Waiting to Happen
The man in the first video is a professor at a Appalchain State University and is chair of the computer science department! His farm is located in Creston which is in the far Northwest corner of NC and little else but mountains that hold the rest of the world together. I thought I had ceased to be amazed.....

Being a professor, you'd think that he'd know better. :confused2:

/ Accident Waiting to Happen #15  
Having grown up in a time when no tractors had seat belts or ROPS and farming with a tractor just like that, I have seen and done things I sure would not do today. It was fairly common practice for someone to ride the hood to act as a front ballast when needed. My dad drove his Ford 600 until his death at the age of 79 and the things he did amazed me and he never turned a tractor over. A local logger still skids trees out with a tractor similar to that on slopes I won't go near on my 4WD tractors; scares me to death.

Last edited:
   / Accident Waiting to Happen #18  
I can't understand why the second guy didn't stop when the tractor started to lean. Maybe he'd done it a hundred times before and just got careless? I dunno. I'm far more timid than I probably need to be, due to my inexperience, but no matter how experienced you are, a tractor rolling over on you is going to ruin your day.

/ Accident Waiting to Happen #19  
NEBRASKASPARKS doesn't post on her anymore, but he had some interesting threads on tractor roll-overs etc. that are worth looking up and reading.

/ Accident Waiting to Happen #20  
I sure don't know what that second guy was thinking by turning around trying to pull that plow uphill, that he barely got down going downhill.. but he will not have to worry about it any more... RIP friend.