Never saddle a dead horse

/ Never saddle a dead horse #11  
Actually the Molly Hogan, and eyes made with cable clamps are illegal for over head lifting. I'm sure by now the logger's splice is too. For years we all carried Marlin spikes in our tool boxes, and made all our rigging right on site. Sometime in the 1990's our safety department / insurance company put a stop to it. They wanted a third party to sue if anything happened to us.
I've never seen a Molly Hogan or logger's splice spin out, a Marine splice yes!

Attachments

• Marlin Spikes.jpg
    Marlin Spikes.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 543
   / Never saddle a dead horse #12  
I always thought that ,, never saddle a dead horse,, was a metaphor for whatever it was to do,, it has given all it going to give.. same as never beat a dead horse,, give up and move on.. but I did learn something new today. thanks. Lou

"Ditto what Lou66 says", so now I know the cable guys have stolen the "real meaning".

Leo

/ Never saddle a dead horse #13  
Sometime in the 1990's our safety department / insurance company put a stop to it. They wanted a third party to sue if anything happened to us.
I've never seen a Molly Hogan or logger's splice spin out, a Marine splice yes!
I've never actually seen one spin out either. Alot of the old timers talked about it when I was learning to splice. In sales, one of the mgrs. was just talking about this last week, telling stories etc. I am selling alot of 1-1/8" x 26' with 3' handspliced eyes, but they are being used as bridles for winch trucks to use to skid load. thats why it even came up in the office about spin out possibility. He said back in the day it happened more than most thought.
The handsplice is slowly becoming a lost art, we have a few guys and myself that knew how when I started getting these orders. Getting some more trained though

/ Never saddle a dead horse #14  
I have also heard " u dead". There were a lot of other important things I learned and forgot about rigging. One company had a course from slings to cable id, how to flip loads with one or two cranes. It was some real neat stuff, but like most of the things they did it was rushed. They made a big deal about safety and then forgot about it out of the meeting room.

/ Never saddle a dead horse #15  
I've never actually seen one spin out either. Alot of the old timers talked about it when I was learning to splice. In sales, one of the mgrs. was just talking about this last week, telling stories etc. I am selling alot of 1-1/8" x 26' with 3' handspliced eyes, but they are being used as bridles for winch trucks to use to skid load. thats why it even came up in the office about spin out possibility. He said back in the day it happened more than most thought.
The handsplice is slowly becoming a lost art, we have a few guys and myself that knew how when I started getting these orders. Getting some more trained though
I'd like to meet the guys who spliced this eye! I sure wouldn't make them mad! :laughing:

Attachments

• Large Logger.jpg
    Large Logger.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 601
   / Never saddle a dead horse #17  
No doubt! The biggest cable we splice and press is 3-1/2", usually atleast 4 guys on an eye to splice it.. Check these braids out, 2" wire rope, braided

Attachments

• braided.jpg
    braided.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 458
   / Never saddle a dead horse #18  
Here is some 4-inch, we used for 300-ton picks.

Attachments

• LVM anchor 2.jpg
    LVM anchor 2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 373
   / Never saddle a dead horse #20  
Now those are shackles.Nice to see a big pick rigged. What were they lifting? As Paul said,'the rest of the story".