Never saddle a dead horse

/ Never saddle a dead horse #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
I never heard of it until this week lets see how many others have clue I was hanging 50 ft of 16 in blower pipe from rafters 20 ft up in our shavings building at work

/ Never saddle a dead horse #2  
Dad was a lineman for 40 years and taught me many years ago which way it went.

/ Never saddle a dead horse #3  
never saddle a dead horse, refers to the way to put on the cable clamps onto to wire braid cable. Yes there is a proper way and an improper way to put the clamp on. Do NOT put the saddle portion of the clamp up against "dead" end.. the saddle goes on the "live" end of the cable ( the portion holding the load) and the u bolt portion goes up against the " dead" end of the cable.

James K0UA ( I have built a radio tower or two)

/ Never saddle a dead horse
Ah couldn't fool anyone I never worked cable so never heard it before had to look it up on net to see what it was referred to

/ Never saddle a dead horse #5  
And for those who can't tell if the horse is dead:

0507526_hr4c.jpg

5/16" Cable Size HDG Double Saddle Wire Rope Clip | Fastenal

/ Never saddle a dead horse #6  
Hi James,

"never saddle a dead horse, refers to the way to put on the cable clamps onto to wire braid cable. Yes there is a proper way and an improper way to put the clamp on. Do NOT put the saddle portion of the clamp up against "dead" end.. the saddle goes on the "live" end of the cable ( the portion holding the load) and the u bolt portion goes up against the " dead" end of the cable."

What is the reasoning? Best guess I could come up with is that doing the wrong way might possibly cut/fray/weaken the live part of the cable.

Thanks,

PMH

/ Never saddle a dead horse #7  
There is more to installing cable clamps, than the proper rotation, a lot more. Proper spacing, and torque.
Personally I try to avoid making eyes where you have to depend on the cable clamps. I'd much rather roll a Molly Hogan, and leave a long tail and wrap with electrical tape. Or if I'm really going to max out the wire rope I'll make a logger's splice.
There is a reason OSHA out lawed attaching a cable clamp to the main line after a wedge socket on a crane. The cable clamps break the small wires in the strands of the wire rope.:eek:

Attachments

• wr space.jpg
    wr space.jpg
    910.6 KB · Views: 2,485
  • wr chart.jpg
    wr chart.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 1,598
  • wedge socket.jpg
    wedge socket.jpg
    951.4 KB · Views: 9,256
  • Moly 1.jpg
    Moly 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 740
  • Moly 2.jpg
    Moly 2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,046
  • Logger splice22.JPG
    Logger splice22.JPG
    246.3 KB · Views: 1,122
   / Never saddle a dead horse #8  
What is the reasoning? Best guess I could come up with is that doing the wrong way might possibly cut/fray/weaken the live part of the cable.

Thanks,

PMH

PMH,

That is true. The u-bolt part of the clamp crushes the strands of the load bearing side thereby weakening the rope.

/ Never saddle a dead horse #9  
I always thought that ,, never saddle a dead horse,, was a metaphor for whatever it was to do,, it has given all it going to give.. same as never beat a dead horse,, give up and move on.. but I did learn something new today. thanks. Lou

/ Never saddle a dead horse #10  
The one thing to watch out for on the Molly Hogan/ hand splice/flemish eye splice is if when lifting the load starts to spin, its possible for it spin enough to cause the splice let loose/come apart. We use the Flemish splice with a swaged sleeve pressed in a shop setting. Not practical to install in the field I know, just giving those a heads up if they try the molly hogan/hand splice/ Flemish eye splice and lift with it.
The one thing I have ran across is that the hand splice is a lot more popular up north/Canada than here in the south