Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    bx-23 ,

Default Never saddle a dead horse

I never heard of it until this week lets see how many others have clue I was hanging 50 ft of 16 in blower pipe from rafters 20 ft up in our shavings building at work
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

Gold Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Default Re: Never saddle a dead horse

Dad was a lineman for 40 years and taught me many years ago which way it went.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

never saddle a dead horse, refers to the way to put on the cable clamps onto to wire braid cable. Yes there is a proper way and an improper way to put the clamp on. Do NOT put the saddle portion of the clamp up against "dead" end.. the saddle goes on the "live" end of the cable ( the portion holding the load) and the u bolt portion goes up against the " dead" end of the cable.

James K0UA ( I have built a radio tower or two)
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    bx-23 ,

Ah couldn't fool anyone I never worked cable so never heard it before had to look it up on net to see what it was referred to
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

bcp
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

And for those who can't tell if the horse is dead:

Never saddle a dead horse-0507526_hr4c.jpg

5/16" Cable Size HDG Double Saddle Wire Rope Clip | Fastenal

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8N, Kubota L4240

Hi James,

"never saddle a dead horse, refers to the way to put on the cable clamps onto to wire braid cable. Yes there is a proper way and an improper way to put the clamp on. Do NOT put the saddle portion of the clamp up against "dead" end.. the saddle goes on the "live" end of the cable ( the portion holding the load) and the u bolt portion goes up against the " dead" end of the cable."

What is the reasoning? Best guess I could come up with is that doing the wrong way might possibly cut/fray/weaken the live part of the cable.

Thanks,

PMH

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.
    Tractor
    John Deere, 4200

There is more to installing cable clamps, than the proper rotation, a lot more. Proper spacing, and torque.
    Personally I try to avoid making eyes where you have to depend on the cable clamps. I'd much rather roll a Molly Hogan, and leave a long tail and wrap with electrical tape. Or if I'm really going to max out the wire rope I'll make a logger's splice.
    There is a reason OSHA out lawed attaching a cable clamp to the main line after a wedge socket on a crane. The cable clamps break the small wires in the strands of the wire rope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Never saddle a dead horse-wr-space.jpg   Never saddle a dead horse-wr-chart.jpg   Never saddle a dead horse-wedge-socket.jpg   Never saddle a dead horse-moly-1.jpg   Never saddle a dead horse-moly-2.jpg  

Never saddle a dead horse-logger-splice22.jpg  

Miller Dynasty 300.
    Lincoln V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    Lincoln SG Spool gun

Lincoln LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300
    Everlast PowerArc 200.
    5 Lincoln SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw
    Hypertherm Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.
    JD2 model 3

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B6100DT

Quote Originally Posted by pmhowe View Post

What is the reasoning? Best guess I could come up with is that doing the wrong way might possibly cut/fray/weaken the live part of the cable.

Thanks,

PMH

PMH,

That is true. The u-bolt part of the clamp crushes the strands of the load bearing side thereby weakening the rope.

Dan C.
    B6100DT, FEL, BH

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

I always thought that ,, never saddle a dead horse,, was a metaphor for whatever it was to do,, it has given all it going to give.. same as never beat a dead horse,, give up and move on.. but I did learn something new today. thanks. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Case 485

The one thing to watch out for on the Molly Hogan/ hand splice/flemish eye splice is if when lifting the load starts to spin, its possible for it spin enough to cause the splice let loose/come apart. We use the Flemish splice with a swaged sleeve pressed in a shop setting. Not practical to install in the field I know, just giving those a heads up if they try the molly hogan/hand splice/ Flemish eye splice and lift with it.
    The one thing I have ran across is that the hand splice is a lot more popular up north/Canada than here in the south

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast