Senior dies while walking for help

/ Senior dies while walking for help #1  

Mace Canute

Elite Member
Senior who died while trying to get help for two others stuck in snow hailed as 蘇ero | Globalnews.ca

They call him a hero but anyone who makes so many bad decisions is far from a hero in my book. They took a "scenic drive" on a forestry road that hadn't been cleared (and who knows when the next time it would have been cleared?) without telling anyone where they were going. They also didn't have a shovel in the truck and they were not dressed properly for the weather. He was 71, wife was 69 and friend was 66 and he had some health problems including bad knees and feet and the wife had a bad knee and didn't have her inhaler for asthma.

I can't even begin to guess why they thought it would be a good idea to do what they did...:confused:

/ Senior dies while walking for help #2  
   / Senior dies while walking for help
You obviously don't "think" like an old person..........

........Don't be confused young fellow, your day is coming up fast, just hope you get plenty of chances to test your judgment as an old geezer.

I had a career as a Lineman for an electrical utility company where not thinking of the consequences of your actions would get you and/or your workmates injured or killed. I also worked a lot at home with no one around but me so I had to plan my actions there also and not do stupid things. Seems to have worked since I lived to retire and am now in my early 60s.

/ Senior dies while walking for help #4  
I had a career as a Lineman for an electrical utility company where not thinking of the consequences of your actions would get you and/or your workmates injured or killed. I also worked a lot at home with no one around but me so I had to plan my actions there also and not do stupid things. Seems to have worked since I lived to retire and am now in my early 60s.

I had similar workplace and at home experiences, I know exactly what you are saying. I would have argued the exact same point at your age.

"I also worked a lot at home with no one around but me so I had to plan my actions there also and not do stupid things."

In my early sixties I too never gave much thought to "errors in judgment", I was still a complete physical and mental man.
Though I have remained active physically and mentally there are changes that occur advancing into the seventies that are beyond ones ability to control.
I have had several lapses in judgment that would never have occurred in my early sixties. The fault resulted from automatically relying on the past (as we always have done) to set the parameters for a new experience without factoring in the realities of the present.

Believe me, once you get "there" you will also do stupid things. It will be your wake up call to reassess the way you make decisions to make those first few stupid decisions hopefully the last.

/ Senior dies while walking for help #5  
hero

Definition

he·ro

[ hrō ]

he·roes Plural

NOUN

remarkably brave person: somebody who commits an act of remarkable bravery or who has shown an admirable quality such as great courage or strength of character

careless

Definition

care·less

[ kérləss ]

ADJECTIVE

not giving careful attention: not giving enough careful attention to the details of something

showing no concern: disregarding or showing no concern about something

eh, im goin with option 2

/ Senior dies while walking for help #6  
Sad story. Maybe it would have ended better if he had the correct clothing. I don't go into town on paved roads in the winter without good boots, hat, gloves, jacket.

I would think at some point, before getting totally stuck, it would have been evident that the road was not going to be passable. Usually you get almost stuck, or are having to really plow through snow before getting stuck for good. If so, going beyond that was a fatal error.

/ Senior dies while walking for help #7  
I had similar workplace and at home experiences, I know exactly what you are saying. I would have argued the exact same point at your age.

"I also worked a lot at home with no one around but me so I had to plan my actions there also and not do stupid things."

In my early sixties I too never gave much thought to "errors in judgment", I was still a complete physical and mental man.
Though I have remained active physically and mentally there are changes that occur advancing into the seventies that are beyond ones ability to control.
I have had several lapses in judgment that would never have occurred in my early sixties. The fault resulted from automatically relying on the past (as we always have done) to set the parameters for a new experience without factoring in the realities of the present.

Believe me, once you get "there" you will also do stupid things. It will be your wake up call to reassess the way you make decisions to make those first few stupid decisions hopefully the last.

Here's the difference that confirms your findings. When I was a young man, I did things I thought I couldn't do and did them. As an "older fella", I do things I think I can do and I'm wrong again. I thought with age comes wisdom. I have to alter that quote: "With age comes wisdom along with ineptitude"

/ Senior dies while walking for help #8  

I know what you meant Mace....Decisions we make have consequences...as ghenges mentioned we positive minded older folks do have a much younger outlook and we have to always be sure to know our actual limitations...As you point out ...that way you live to to retire...pretty nice reward....

/ Senior dies while walking for help #9  
If he would not have walked far enough to get a signal on his cell phone there would have been 3 dead. The question is why didn't he check the signal and make a call.
I think this is a case of "Accidental Hero" if there is such a thing......

/ Senior dies while walking for help #10  
You obviously don't "think" like an old person.

An old person thinks like a young person, that's where the trouble starts.
In planning my day I set unrealistic goals "thinking" I still have the energy level of a 30 year old. I mean this is every day even though the reality is that the goals are impossible.
Dirty Harry famously stated "A man's got to know his limitations"; well most old people are fully aware of their limitations, but their "young" brain tends to override the limitations reality.

This old guy's "young" brain overrode his better judgment to go four wheeling on snow covered logging roads. He paid with his life for his foolish actions because he was thinking like a young person and failed to perform a reality check on spur of the moment plans.
He did what most old people do that don't want to sit in a rocking chair and safely watch their life expire, he tried to do something adventurous, too bad he didn't foresee the dangers.

Don't be confused young fellow, your day is coming up fast, just hope you get plenty of chances to test your judgment as an old geezer.

You are a smart man. P.S. --- I really really like your avitar!

MoKelly