Almost crushed by BX

/ Almost crushed by BX #21  
A mechanic that owned a one man shop about a mile from me was found crushed under a car he as working on by a customer...

Have to be extra careful when working alone.

/ Almost crushed by BX #23  
That is scary, I am glad you are ok.

/ Almost crushed by BX #24  
Wow you got lucky or someone was looking out for you.

I let a JD 425 GT roll of a trailer once. I got off of it and normally always set the brakes but forgot, got off the seat to strap it down and the next thing I knew it sitting 30' behind the trailer, down the the trailer and ramps she went. Good thing no one was standing back there. That's when I learned my lesson about hydros and park brakes the hard way, never get in a hurry when dismounting set those brakes.

/ Almost crushed by BX #25  
A 17 year old some years back was working under his car using cord wood for jackstands. He died beneath the vehicle when it slipped off. His girlfriend found him. We have to always plan for the worst.

/ Almost crushed by BX #26  
Years ago a guy (desk jockey) that worked for the same electrical utility that I retired from was out in his back yard under his car and working on the exhaust system one Saturday and had it up in the air solely supported by the vehicle's jack. His neighbour saw him and came over and told him how dangerous it was and told him to block it up properly and went back home. The desk jockey ignored him and went on working under it and the neighbour went over a second time to warn him about the dangers of what he was doing with the same result. The third time the neighbour went over, he found the guy pinned under the car...dead.

As they say, "You can't fix stupid."

/ Almost crushed by BX
I've got a bad habit of not setting the parking brake because there is no indicator light. I've driven it several times with the break on. You can tell by the increased noise the hydro makes. Chocking is what I should have done. Worked 31 years as a firefighter/paramedic and have seen people crushed by cars. Cinder blocks are a very dangerous choice, saw a guy killed because one of them broke. Guess I was trying out for the Darwin awards.

/ Almost crushed by BX #28  
a buddy of mine, was replacing the U joints on his pickup. The front was on car ramps, his drive is sloped. When he removed the driveshaft bolts, the truck rolled down the ramps and drive. He was rolled all the way down the drive to the street, before it spit him out the front. He had lots of scrapes and was purple for weeks. He had not set the park brake and did not use chocks.

Dave

/ Almost crushed by BX #30  
Wow, scary story, thanks for the reminder!!!!