Almost crushed by BX

/ Almost crushed by BX #1  

lfkfire

Tractor
Kubota BX2350
I have a BX2350 and was greasing the mmm driveshaft. I had it backed up on some plastic ramps so that I could reconnect the PTO mmm shaft. It started creeping down the ramps and I tried to slide out from under it. The lower plate which had a trailer hitch ball on it began to pin my head to the ground so I pulled myself back up under the tractor. Then the hydro gearcase started to press on my head so I had to turn my head to the side. So there I was for about 45 minutes with the bottom plate pressing into my chest and my arms behind the rear axles until my daughter heard me yelling help!!! She backed it up the ramps so I could get out from under it. Lesson learned don't be in such a hurry that you don't set the parking brake (and let someone know if you are going to crawl under any type of vehicle.

/ Almost crushed by BX #2  
Lesson learned the scary way. I prefer to use floor jacks and jack stands, but be careful whatever method you choose.

Glad you are OK.

/ Almost crushed by BX #3  
Ouch. I prefer jacks too but always block the wheels if using ramps. Glad you're ok.

/ Almost crushed by BX #4  
The results could have been much worse. I'm sincerely glad that the outcome was more positive than negative.

/ Almost crushed by BX #5  
I once had to back myself out from under a car after it fell of the jackstand, luckily i didnt have the wheels off. Had to hold my breath to lower my chest and move a foot, then breath with my chest pushing against the bottom of the car, then breath fully out and move another foot. When replacing brake pads i allways put the wheel i took off, under the car next to the jack, so if it DOES tumble off the jack, my legs dont get pinned. When working underneath it with the wheels off, i use jackstands on each side, no jacks !

/ Almost crushed by BX #6  
Glad you weren't hurt. But I'm sorry , why did you need the tractor on ramps to reconnect the MMM pto? On my BX24 which is just like yours without BH- I just drop the deck on setting 1 and then approach it on left side of tractor. I was able to reconnect pto shaft this way, No ramps needed- in fact I think ramps makes things harder .

/ Almost crushed by BX #7  
On my BX24 which is just like yours without BH- I just drop the deck on setting 1 and then approach it on left side of tractor.

that's how I do it... maybe my arms are longer than the OPs...

I do remember doing something similar years ago when I was 17... jacked up the back of my 1950 Mercury(bumper jack, of course) without blocking the wheels, to tie up the exhaust with some wire... while I'm under there, I feel the tire pushing real hard against my shoulder... luckily my Mom was in the house, heard me hollering and came out to step on the brake pedal so I could get out from under there. Never did that again!

Pete

/ Almost crushed by BX #8  
I always block the tires for this very reason, and I have also recently given up on wheel ramps. The other day I was visiting a neighbor (younger than I am), and I found myself criticizing him for using two floor jacks to rotate the tires with no jack stands. I have become my father I realized at that moment, since I remember doing similar things as a kid and getting chastised by dad. Of course, I was bulletproof when I was younger, but this post reminds us how quickly and easily it can happen to any of us. Thank God you got out from there with nothing worse than an injured pride.

I think making sure people know what you're doing is an important this story. I think of times when I am working under things and now realize I could in theory be trapped for hours or longer before someone would come looking.

/ Almost crushed by BX #9  
I am thankful you are ok. Nothing damaged but some pride. Being crushed is a fear of mine so I work accordingly.

/ Almost crushed by BX #10  
I've found the easiest way to connect the MMM PTO is to connect it first, before you attach the lift arms. Gives a lot more flexibility to get the shaft connected. No need to jack it up, it's plenty high for this operation as is. Glad you're OK, I would have freaked if that happened to me.