Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Animals in the house

My brother in law came over yesterday(he lives just across the bass pond from me) and said "come see what I found in my back bedroom". I went outside and in the back of his JD Gator he had some 5 gallon buckets. Inside one was about a 2 foot long water moccasin. Last week we had some summer like days and he has a habit of leaving his patio door open on nice days so the dogs can come and go as they please plus freshen the air inside. Well the last two days have been in the high 30's at night. He was cleaning up a bit around the house yesterday as it was a bit chilly outside to be working and he noticed what looked like a big rubber snake (his eyesight is not that great but he wont wear his glasses). He said just to be on the safe side though he poked at it with a broom handle and it struck at it. Well luckily for him and everything else in the house, the snake had crawled up on a large glue trap that his wife had put under the bed and became stuck so he couldn't crawl away but his head was still free to move. That snake had came in the patio door, crawled thru the kitchen/dining/ living room open area, down an T shaped hall way and into a back bedroom. I guess he was lucky that the snake took a right down that hall way to the spare bedrooms rather than a left to the master bedroom.
    His patio porch is maybe 40 feet from the waters edge while mine is about 200 feet. I have never found a snake anywhere around my house, while he has had several encounters with them. Last year they killed one that had came into the garage and coiled up by the door to the house. Luckily that they came in from the roll up door and saw him rather than coming from the house man-door as they would likely have stepped on it from that direction. Several times the dogs have bayed a snake coming up from the pond while still out in the grass.
    Anyone know of a good snake repellant and please don't say mothballs, BTDT and it doesn't work.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS R4047

Default Re: Animals in the house

God I HATE snakes !!! I've got a pond about a 100 feet from my back door and so far haven't seen any around the house. The only snake repellant that I know of is a 410 ! Watch your step Gary !!
    2012 LS R4047 , FEL , Backhoe, kingkutter finish mower,68 " rachet rake, Titan skidsteer 72" root Grapple, JD 145,JD166 ........Dodge 3500 cummins, Kenworth w900l Cat powered ...

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510 and Mahindra 5500 4WD

Snakes are a big problem in south Texas, they have lots of ways to deal with them. A place I hunted used a Snake fence around the owners house after her dog was killed by a big rattler in the yard. Looked like a 12" net fence that was electrified and would knock the s*1t out of any thing that touched it. Easy to step over and also keep rats and mice away as that seemed to be a snake attractant.

Just a thought if there is a reoccuring problem.
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Anybody ever use this stuff??

http://www.serpentguard.com/
    If you say gullible really slowly........it sounds just like oranges.

Invest in America........BUY a Politician!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
    Anybody ever use this stuff??

Serpent Guard | Natural Snake Repellent
    Your Link is the first time that I have heard of this product. It seems a tad bit pricey to me, considering the area covered. Just my thoughts.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    Your Link is the first time that I have heard of this product. It seems a tad bit pricey to me, considering the area covered. Just my thoughts.
    Same here, $47 for one application to a small city sized lot. Between me and BIL yard size is about 600 feet x 400 or more. Attached is a winter photo of the yard and pond area between us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Animals in the house-img_0984-jpg  
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510 and Mahindra 5500 4WD

I always heard if you keep it clean and short grass around the house or pond, it helps to keep rodents and snakes down since they like cover and its easier for raptors to get them in the open.
    The yard and pond look real clean and maintained, I wonder if there is a den site on the other side that snakes are using for winter?

Just a thought-
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 HSDC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    he has a habit of leaving his patio door open on nice days so the dogs can come and go
    Tell him to keep the door closed. God only knows what else could enter besides snakes; flies, bugs, birds, small rodents, etc.
    Stanley----Kubota B3030 HSDC

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1025r TLB

How big is the pond? A friend of mine "shocks" his pond just like one would shock a pool. He says the fish swim a little funny for a couple days but recover well, it seems to keep snakes out of their swimming pond.
    '13 JD 1025r TLB
    60D MMM w/ electric over hydraulic independent lift
    Custom Seat Springs (no more bottoming out)
    Single Point Quick Disconnect
    180* Thermostat
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Omni Transformer

Kubota ZD326H, 72" deck, Qwikchute OCDC

Tractor

The pond is about 400 feet long by 250 wide. Much too large to chlorine shock. We put some Blue Bayou in it to turn the water blue in summer to help control the algae growth. I do a search and destroy around it often with shotgun to kill any snakes that I see, so far nothing this year, but we find some small ones occasionally so they are breeding and raising young somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast