Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Ford 1710

Default Check your top links!

So I am doing some logging with my Norse winch. I start a pull on my log and after about 4 feet BAAM. I look back (was watching the log pull) and my top link came apart and my winch was laying flat on the ground, still spinning on a now extremely flexed pto shaft. I killed the engine quick as I could. My fault, I had the link set for my plow, and instead if adjusting the right way I just kept spinning more and more thread out. I guess she had been holding on by a thread (pun intended) for a while.

It was comical. Huge winch, flat on the ground. Took a while but got her back up, all hooked up and nothing broke, but could have been deadly if standing in wrong spot. Would have killed one of my dogs in an instant if I let them around while I worked.

So, check you top links, and equipment in general!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs

Default Re: Check your top links!

I guess, a stop at the end of the threads has been tried. It probably presented other kinds of problems.

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

This happened to me, but the winch didn't fall all the way flat because its bottom jammed against a rear tire. The PTO was still attached, so I ran the cable over the ROPS to a tree in front of the tractor and "winched the winch" back to where I could reattach the top link.

Now there is a mark on the top link threads that means "go no farther." A safety chain is another solution.

Tractor
    Ford 1710

I ended up having to use my hydraulic floor jack and blocks of wood to angle it up high enough so I could push it back up. I thought of tying a chain around the top of it and laying across rops and then hooking to loader and lowering lower to pull it up, but thankfully I didn't need to mess with that!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    G1800AWS, B3030HSDCC, L3540HSTCC, JD710A

I thought this might have been a wardrobe malfunction!

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I had a malfunction with my boxblade once due to just the opposite. I had shortened the top link as much as it would go so the scarifiers would dig in more. I was moving along digging up some deep rocks with the scarifiers and suddenly the boxblade flipped over with the top link hanging down by the drawbar and it was riding on my back tires. I didn't think that you could shorten a top link too much but this one did and I was lucky the boxblade didn't damage a tire or climb up into the cab with me.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Hanomag

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    I had a malfunction with my boxblade once due to just the opposite. I had shortened the top link as much as it would go so the scarifiers would dig in more. I was moving along digging up some deep rocks with the scarifiers and suddenly the boxblade flipped over with the top link hanging down by the drawbar and it was riding on my back tires. I didn't think that you could shorten a top link too much but this one did and I was lucky the boxblade didn't damage a tire or climb up into the cab with me.
    I sure wouldn't have seen that coming. Who knew? But, it does make sense.

Tractor
    1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)

Gary, you mean the top attachment point on the BB went "over center" of the top link knuckle? That must be unusual!
    Jim
    "Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly" Mae West

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

The top link is not meant to withstand winch forces. If the link holds you will finally break the attachment point to the tractor. The pull point should be lower so that the lift links take a large %.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    2012 John Deere 4105

I have have same thing happen to me as Gary stated twice actually. Buy doing the same thing having the link drawn in all the way on a BB. The box blade inverts and contacts the tires and possibly the back of our finders. If this does happen the first thing you think to do is lower the BB. Well when it in inverted the controls are now inverted. When you lower it you actually are pushing it further toward your finders and tires. Not Fun!
    John Deere 4105HST 300cx loader
    imatch,72" bushhog, 72" finish mower, 72" box blade, 60" disc, 48" forks and middle buster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast