watch where you're going!

/ watch where you're going! #1  

Wingnut

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 GST
watch where you\'re going!

I decided to "stretch" my pasture a bit on Saturday ... I've got about 8 acres of land between the house and barn that belongs to a Cell Phone company and has a tower and 3 supports .... and they rarely wack the weeds down .... so I've gradually fenced much of it off to use as a pasture. No complaints from them as it's temporary electric fence ... and I'm keeping the weeds down.
Anyway ... I've brush-hogged the unfenced portion many times ... and decided to do it again prior to extending my fence ... and finally got around to starting to brush it Saturday afternoon ... and did my first pass without paying much attention at all - familiarity breeds contempt, right?
So ... suddenly I get a wack-wack-wack sound from the brushhog, kick in the clutch, disengage the pto, back up ... and what do I see, a bent over T-post with a 2 foot section cut off ... wonderful. Never saw it in front of me - should have remembered it was there, but didn't. Climb off, pull it out of the ground ... set it aside - both pieces. Get out the tools and replace the broken shear bolt.
So far, no big deal .... replace shear bolts at least once every time I hog ... then I climb back on the tractor ... and just as I'm about to engage the pto, I see the oil light on .... oh no ... shut 'er down, climb off, look underneath ... everything is soaked ... with oil ... so, drive it back to the garage, park it inside, climb underneath. Nope, nothing broken here, nothing broken there, don't see any broken lines ... oops ... there it is ... the filter has a huge gash in it.
So .... when I drove over the slightly bent t-post .... the axle bent it down more, it sprang up and took out the filter ... and then proceeded to crease - but not break - the fuel "glass" ... sure glad they switched to plastic ... I guess I have to consider myself lucky that the t-post didn't do a heck of a lot more damage before it tangled with the brushhog blade!
Now I'm out of action until Steve Carver responds to my email request for a filter kit .... just because I wan't bothering to watch in front of the tractor as I wacked down the weeds and willows ....

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

pete

/ watch where you're going! #2  
Re: watch where you\'re going!

Pete -- Glad no lasting harm was done. And it could have been worse...like the time I upgraded to a larger tractor with a larger turning radius and never noticed that three of my wife's apple saplings were in the way until they were reduced to mulch! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thought for a while she was going to shoot my new tractor!

Pete

/ watch where you're going! #3  

Boondox:

I had a buddy that once got mad at his car and shot it with a 357. The bullet went through the hood and got he carburetor and intake.

Cost him some money. Anger can be expensive.

/ watch where you're going! #4  

My dad told about when he was a young man and had a friend with a terrible temper. His friend had a real nice car. This was back when you had to hand crank to start them. His buddy cranked and cranked it and it wouldn't start. His buddy grabbed a sledge hammer and proceded to pound the car. My dad walked up to the car and found that he had never turned the ignition switch on. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ watch where you're going! #5  

Seperated from your ill gotten gains, ay? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif