Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing?

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #21  
It seems a lot of us have hearing loss. I can trace mine back to an IH806 with an egging cab and a mechanic that cranked up the fuel pump to get a bit more HP. My ears rang when I got off that thing. Dad finally picked up some muffs intended for shooting.

These days I wear them for everything.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #22  
The LaserLite ear plugs already mentioned are sold as Leight Sleepers at Walgreens. They are the most comfortable earplugs I have worn. I used to have some silicone earplugs my brother had in the Army back between 76-82 but they got old and hard. I have not found them anywhere when you used to see that style in the stores. I wear earplugs whenever I am on the tractor for more than a few minutes, when running the chainsaw, weedwacker, leaf blower, circular saw, nail guns, concerts (if I am properly prepared), or any other noisy things. I am not big on ear buds and muffs over them as I hear music and voices in my head so I do not need an Ipod running.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #23  
Is this a good idea? I think it's time I wear this while mowing for hours at a time. Ebay? Can anyone suggest a basic value priced ear protection headphones?

the hearing protection I wear fits gear under a hat quite nicely and I wear them operating my tractors and when using the table saw. I like this style as well as when required I can taken them out and they are a rigid type that can hang around my neck until I need to wear them again. I keep loosing the loose individual type. I have attached the link to the style I prefer.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG...alProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=HDLQB3HYG

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #25  
I always carry ear plugs in my front pocket. I'm a contractor, so it's not unusual for me to have them in all day long, and sometimes I forget I have them in and I'm driving home when I realize it. On the mower, or tractor or even using anything that makes loud noise, I put them in. My dad can't hear a thing and one of my brothers is pretty bad. While I feel sorry for them and their hearing loss, it's so annoying having to repeat everything and talk super loud that if I don't have to, I sometimes don't bother saying anything.

Eddie

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #26  
Is this a good idea? I think it's time I wear this while mowing for hours at a time. Ebay? Can anyone suggest a basic value priced ear protection headphones?

I use the earmuffs from Home Depot when using my string mower (weed whacker) and wrap-around safety glasses.

Don't wear ear protection when mowing with my brush hog or flail mower and the Mahindra 5525. But I generally wear a respirator mask with HEPA dust filter cartridges in April-May since the soil is pretty dry by then (our rainy season runs from Nov thru May, but most of the moisture comes in Nov-Feb). By June everything except the star thistle is dying in my hayfield and the fire season has officially started so I don't mow in the field with steel blade equipment (spinning blade plus rocks = brush fire + a CalFire visit + a big bill for services rendered). I stick to string mowers in the summer.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #27  
It's not only the hearing loss that you will lament if hearing protection isn't worn, it is the tinnitus that will drive you crazy that can result from it. Lots of us on here have it. Eventually, if it is not too bad, you adjust but it takes a l-o-n-g time.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #28  
Having gone deaf in one ear (which was finally diagnosed as EXCEPTIONALLY deep wax) and recovered I'm a big fan of hearing protection. For tractor, sawmill and chainsaw work I use shooting muffs, w/ a 29DB rating and often put in a pair of Milwaukee 49-17-3200 NRR 27 DB Corded Reusable Earplugs, Box of 50 - Amazon.com.

I bought a box on sale for like $20 over 5 years ago. I spread them around so even if I just pick up a circular saw to use they are there/

The foam earplugs always bugged me because I had to get them rolled just right. These plugs I can almost screw in, plus they are designed for reuse. With the plugs AND muffs I find I can run my 90CC chain saws at WOT with no problem. I don't know what the total DB reduction is but I like to listen to the sounds of silence.

I used to put a pair of earbuds in the earmuffs, but as I've gotten older I've found my memory of Grateful Dead songs is sufficient.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #29  
I wear earmuffs all the time when using power equipment on my acreage. I have tried several brands but prefer Leightning L3 earmuffs. I also bought several pairs of child earmuffs and the grandkids have to wear them if they are even riding in the trailer. I know that is overkill, but better to start the habit early. One granddaughter referes to them as her ear puffs.

Take Care,
Doug in SW IA

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #30  
I wear Ear Protection when I use the Riding Mower, Brush Cutter, and when operating our Tractor. I don't listen to music while working, so I don't require Headphones. I keep a pair of Muffs and extra ear plugs in the toolbox on the Tractor.