Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing?

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #31  
I've been carrying North 'Comfit' plugs daily since the mid '70s (along with the chapstick and hangnail clippers that us 'lightweights' won't be without). These & other variations of the 'Christmas tree' style seem to clean up best and last the longest. Don't ride my bike (motor), shoot, mow, or do anything noisy without 'em. You can get spoiled for having protection 'on', but that's a sign you have some hearing left to protect.

Gotta wear protection at clubs with live bands, concerts, races, and truck pulls. They're not just for mowing, sawing & grinding. A downside I always hated was that at work they'd drown out the shop noise and someone's insipid radio racket would be more noticeable & annoying. :irked: (Guess they couldn't do their job and read the paper without that, too..)

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #32  
I wear muffs in the winter to keep the ears warm when using the tractor. In summer its generally a pair of foam plugs. Best deal I found was 200 pair for about $25 from AirGas (my welding gas distributor). Its their "home brand" but they work just as well. I have a pair of the Radio muffs as well and use them year round if I am working for a while and can withstand the sweating (in the summer).

I probably wear ear protection 95% of the time. Im only 30 but still want to be able to hear when Im old.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #33  
I use Worktunes...Can barely hear my BX diesel with them on and the volume won't allow blasting....I also have tenitus from walking past a metal cutting saw that was fired up before I could react...I got used to it but loud noises really aggrevates it for a few hours.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #34  
Take my advice any ear protection is well worth. I've. a Aircraft Mechanic for 30 years and I did a lot of damage by not wearing ear protection

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #35  
I never used to wear any hearing protection when I was growing up. That included shooting, mowing, chainsaw, etc. As time goes on (I'm 30) I eventually started wearing it shooting guns. Then I got married and my wife complained I don't hear anything she said or I have selective hearing. :confused3: So she contributed it to me using outdoor power equipment without hearing protection. So now she insists I wear them at all times. :mur: But I know I really should and I do believe I should have started long ago.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #36  
Hi all

Good ear muffs are essential. There is awareness now about how hearing loss develops and most hardware stores have a range of good earmuffs so there is no excuse for not using them. Otherwise later in life you will be left out of conversations. You will have to see your friends smiles to know they are saying jokes about you :) I wear glasses and as most muffs don't fit well over the glasses arms I use the foam buds that shape into your ears.

Mike

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #37  
I used to have some over ear muffs that would allow me to plug an Ipod into it. They died (and were something like $250) so I bought a couple pair of Peltor bright green (airport) over ears. In addition to the over ears, I use my Ipod and in-ear buds.

The Ipod/buds alone would seem to be enough to reduce the noise but adding the over-ear muffs, allows me to experience near silence while working. Of course, it's not really silent, but when compared to the surrounding noise, I can only hear a background drone as the tractor/backhoe/chainsaw/other is working.

As said above....when I get done, I don't feel anywhere near as worn out.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #38  
+1 on hearing protection. Usually I wear foam ear plugs. We have 2 or3 pairs of muffs around. i wear them when it is cold. My dad never wore hearing protection now he wears $3000 hearing aids. He's 79.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #40  
My dad is 82 years old and has hearing aids and has had numerous skin cancers removed from his face, nose, and ears...
I always put in ear plugs and wear a big brimmed straw hat as a rule...
You really do not realize how loud a 6' RFM is at wide open throttle until you take out your plugs...