Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing?

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #41  
Wearing hearing protection around any power equipment is almost always a good idea; especially around diesel engines as their decibel level is high enough to easily cause damage. And hearing damage is cumulative, and heals pathetically slowly, if at all.

My ear defenders keep my ears warm in the winter when plowing (I don't have a cab.) And I'll leave the engine running often when manually loading the bucket, which puts me even closer to the engine and exhaust; so those defenders are a must.

I've taken to wearing them while mowing and I'm much less stressed out when done than when I don't wear them.

I have to mention that I have a 50% loss in one ear, and 25% in the other, and have low grade tinnitus.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #43  
While it is a good idea for hearing protection, I don't wear anything which is probably why I am nearly deaf. I don't usually mow for "hours" maybe 2 at the most and my JD mower is pretty quiet. If I were at it 8-10 hours per day, I would surely break out my shooting ear muffs. Anyone ever do a decibel measurement of their equipment. I know I don't need anything in my cab tractor but would be curious if any actual measurement has been done for different tractors doing different chores.

hearing damage is cumulative. it does not matter if you are exposed twice a day for one hour each day for 5 days or you get that 10 hours of exposure all at once, both do damage and there is little if any difference in the amount of damage bvetween the two.

Everyone is free to make their own choices. I choose to wear hearing protection whenever I use power equipment working in the yard such as string trimmer, edger, push mower, riding mower, or running the tractors cutting the field, or the bobcat or using a chain saw. I notice a big difference. I got two of my neighbors started on using ear muffs by handing them a pair of disposable ear plugs. After they used them once and felt the difference they were hooked.

Do yourself and everyone you know a favor and wear hearing protection. You can get it back once its gone so you have to protect it while its still with you.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #44  
Even with the hearing protection if it isn't sufficient you will still suffer hearing damage. I'm only 27 and I have hearing loss and tinitus from the military and I wore hearing protection religiously. Note: not much is sufficient for large repested ied blasts in close proximity.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #45  
Even with the hearing protection if it isn't sufficient you will still suffer hearing damage. I'm only 27 and I have hearing loss and tinitus from the military and I wore hearing protection religiously. Note: not much is sufficient for large repested ied blasts in close proximity.

True. Sometimesdouble protection (muffs over earplugs) is required. But better still are engineering controls to remove the source of the noise. Of course that was not an option with the exposure you were subjected to.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #46  
A little summary:
I've been carrying North 'Comfit' plugs <snip>
North Safety Com-Fit Reusable Ear Plugs (NRR 26) (Box of 100 Pairs) $93 North Safety Com-Fit Reusable Ear Plugs (NRR 26) (Box of 100 Pairs) - Industrial Reusable Ear Plugs in Large Quantities (Boxes & Cases for Our Best Pricing!) note that's 200 plugs, 100 pair.

<snip>prefer Leightning L3 earmuffs. <snip>
Leightning Earmuffs - leightning l3 earmuff 30nrr - Amazon.com about $15, 30Db NRR

I use in-ear plugs too, but the tapered soft plastic style with a chord between the inserts. I buy them at Walmart in the shooting section of the Sporting Goods department, three pairs for about $3.
<snip>

The LaserLite ear plugs already mentioned are sold as Leight Sleepers at Walgreens. <snip>
foam, $3.50 for 10 pair

About $18.

I use these (32db noise reduction, about as high at it gets):

Laser Lite Earplugs Corded, 100 Pair -GEMPLER'S<snip>
foam, $32/100

What I got Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Milwaukee 49-17-3200 NRR 27 DB Corded Reusable Earplugs, Box of 50 now $63 for 50.

also mentioned
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG...alProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=HDLQB3HYG over the headband 23NRR, $8.40.

Max NRR Ear Plugs (ten pair) - Sporty's Pilot Shop foam $6 for 10 32Db NRR

Hearing aids $2,000 and up Hearing Aid Prices Comparison Chart: Compare Different Brands, Models & Cost of Hearing Aids Online

These look interesting, like the Comfit but only have to buy 6 (3 pair) for $7.34 Lift Safety Lift Hearing Protection Flange Ear Plugs (Pack of 6): Safety Equipment & Gear : Walmart.com

So you pays your money you take your choice.

I'm going to continue using 30+DB muffs WITH 25Db reusable, rewashable plugs (they help get the wax out of my ears).

Like I wrote - I don't like foam for myself and,, although I'm sure they are good $2,000 for a hearing aid is a bit much.

Last edited:
   / Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #47  
hearing damage is cumulative. it does not matter if you are exposed twice a day for one hour each day for 5 days or you get that 10 hours of exposure all at once, both do damage and there is little if any difference in the amount of damage bvetween the two.

Everyone is free to make their own choices.

Do yourself and everyone you know a favor and wear hearing protection. You can get it back once its gone so you have to protect it while its still with you.

Yes, the loss of hearing is indeed cumulative and (like you medic0648) I have hearing loss & tinitus from my Naval service. The Navy was always insistant on wearing hearing protection for when a situation called for it: engine room watches, firing the guns, etc... the obvious things. But what ultimately got me (especially my left ear) was sleeping predominately on my right side! Over time the subtle noise of the ships ventilation system caught up with me. :)

What I'm getting at is that if there's noise, I wear ear-protection. For everything, even if I wouldn't normally consider it overly loud (like the cab of a tractor or a 'quiet' push mower). I give the choice to anyone arround my equipment too.

Sometimes, being an example (wearing the muffs) is enough to inspire others to follow suit. Too often I hear others say they don't because they're "old school" or tough. It's their loss... in more ways than one.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #48  
HUH what did you say? :stirthepot:

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #49  
Bilson Clarity C3 are the bet, most comfortable protectors I have ever found to protect what little is left of my hearing. I also use Creative Aurvana Xtreme Fidelity noise canceling headphones from my business travel days but they are bloody expensive.

/ Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing? #50  
I've been pretty pleased with a John Deere noise cancelation headset. It seems to do a good job of blocking and reducing the noise level from my weed eater, blower, and mowers. And it allows me to hook up my Iphone to listen to music while I'm mowing and still get my calls.

It's not perfect, as it doesn't fit around my safety glasses quite as well as I'd like, but I haven't found anything that seems to be a better fit.

I should also point out that they've held up pretty well, given how they haven't been handled with kid gloves. Only one minor break in the plastic headband which I fixed with super glue. Although they weren't cheap-about $90 several years ago, I'll probably get another set when these finally die.

GGB