Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Default Re: Ear Muffs / Hearing Protection while mowing?

Quote Originally Posted by GGB View Post
    I've been pretty pleased with a John deere noise cancelation headset. It seems to do a good job of blocking and reducing the noise level from my weed eater, blower, and mowers. And it allows me to hook up my Iphone to listen to music while I'm mowing and still get my calls.

It's not perfect, as it doesn't fit around my safety glasses quite as well as I'd like, but I haven't found anything that seems to be a better fit.

I should also point out that they've held up pretty well, given how they haven't been handled with kid gloves. Only one minor break in the plastic headband which I fixed with super glue. Although they weren't cheap-about $90 several years ago, I'll probably get another set when these finally die.

GGB
    And where do you find this JD headset, GGB? I know that you can buy darn near anything with a JD logo on it but I haven't found those.

Mind you, it's not to impress anyone. My only regular visitors are the local wallabies and my horses really don't care what I look like as long as food is involved.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E

I've gone to wearing hearing protection when operating small gasoline engines and on my tractor. It does indeed make you feel more energetic when finished than if you endured all the noise. I also use it to keep in touch in case of emergencies. I use a bluetooth earphone under the noise blocking headphones. It lets me have quiet in noisy surroundings, and yet hear the cell phone when someone calls me. I have to stop the engine or whatever I'm doing to answer, but at least I know I'm being called. I've noticed hearing protectors with bluetooth built in, but the price is outta sight. y way works for now.

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

I like the Stihl Worktunes. The radio helps pass the time.

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

I am a firearms instructor (part time) at work, a competitive shooter, and recreational pilot, so I have to be very careful about protecting my hearing. I wear electronic ear muffs when I'm running my tractors, mower, pressure washer, chainsaw, etc....if it has an engine, and minimal muffler, I cover up. I like the electronic ears, for safety reasons....I can still hear someone yelling at me, or if I run into something, etc.

Tractor
    AGCO farm tractor 8360

It is really important to have proper hearing protection while working since we are exposed to sound that can hurt our ears. I never took it seriously that is the reason why I need to get a hearing aids now.

GGB
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210, John Deere Z820A, John Deere 345

Quote Originally Posted by Wagtail View Post
    And where do you find this JD headset, GGB? I know that you can buy darn near anything with a JD logo on it but I haven't found those.

Mind you, it's not to impress anyone. My only regular visitors are the local wallabies and my horses really don't care what I look like as long as food is involved.
    Sorry for the delay-I've been trying to get ready for the family coming this weekend. I purchased the JD headset from our local JD dealer.
    GGB

"We have met the enemy and he is us." -Pogo/Walt Kelly

Veteran Member

Growing up on the farm, none of our tractors had mufflers. The 1942 International TD14 crawler was one of my favorites. The large (guessing 3-5" straight pipe) exhaust sounded powerful and really put the noise out there when pulling a grade. Now, many years later, I have the TV loud to hear it and always wear ear protection when running anything that makes noise. I lecture the kids about protecting their hearing... I also listened to my share of loud music back in the day...

Enough reminiscing, wear hearing and eye protection. Keep extra muffs around for visitors. Don't let someone use your stuff without proper hearing and eye protection.
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Quote Originally Posted by troutsqueezer View Post
    It's not only the hearing loss that you will lament if hearing protection isn't worn, it is the tinnitus that will drive you crazy that can result from it. Lots of us on here have it. Eventually, if it is not too bad, you adjust but it takes a l-o-n-g time.
    Gee Thanks for bringing THAT up :-)

My hearing loss is mild on the one side and moderate+ plus on the other, but the tinnitus can really be bad ocasionally. Usually I don't really notice it unless I have an unprotected sound exposure- which happens very rarely, because I make it a point to keep plugs or earmuffs (the electronic sensor kind with an outside mike sensor) with me whereever I am working, expecting to work, or could somehow end up working with anything loud. There are a pair of muffs dedicated to my splitter/chainsaw (since I can't run both at the same time) another in my basement shop for the wood and metalcutting saws, and a free-agent pair that goes whereever I go.

The ear plugs are from whoever has foam plugs rated at 32dB reduction cheapest, and are reused as necessary- I find that if they go through the wash in my pocket, they come out at least good as new. The muffs are from HF and are of a couple of generations.

Hearing loss from noise, vision loss from sun/UV exposure, and respiratory disease from dust/chemical/etc inhalation exposures are almost completely preventable with very tolerable interventions- hearing protection, sunglasses, and respirators or even simple dust rated masks, but tragically, they are all on the increase despite the widely available preventive measures. I for one, am tired of losing the things that make life worth living, so if I look a little OCD to some of the "he-men" out there, I say Too Bad!
    Thomas

Thomas
    Last edited by PhysAssist; 05-27-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

I always wear it, but its too late in life as I lost my threshold when younger, riding dirt bikes, rock and roll, combined with firearms...most of the time it wasn't at the same time though...LOL
    Nowadays I wear them weed wacking, hedge pruning, mowing, cutting and even while riding my road bikes. I do miss the spring peepers after a long winter and many of the sounds I enjoyed outdoors, one ear is worse than the other so I still hear some if I am laying on my pillow at night the right way.
    Its never too late to start!
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

I always wear it, but its too late in life as I lost my threshold when younger, riding dirt bikes, rock and roll, combined with firearms...most of the time it wasn't at the same time though...LOL
    Nowadays I wear them weed wacking, hedge pruning, mowing, cutting and even while riding my road bikes. I do miss the spring peepers after a long winter and many of the sounds I enjoyed outdoors, one ear is worse than the other so I still hear some if I am laying on my pillow at night the right way.
    Its never too late to start!
    Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast