Dodged a bullet - found a sinkhole

/ Dodged a bullet - found a sinkhole #41  
View attachment 328198
This is my 'smoking gun' in terms of what I think this is. I found a number of pieces of wood, no big stumps or anything, but chunks of wood that appeared to be chainsaw cut and a length of a few feet maximum. Pictured is a small stump, which was found 4' below the surface, so must have been buried, I can't see how it could have gotten there on its own. There was not much woody material, but definitely some rotted pieces. Anyone know what I'd expect to find in the bottom if someone had buried some wood here?[/QUOTE]
I think you have answered you own question. This is the reason I am not a fan of burying wood, after it rots it takes up considerably less space and the possibility of a sink hole is high. I prefer to burn it and be done with it.

/ Dodged a bullet - found a sinkhole
View attachment 328198
I think you have answered you own question. This is the reason I am not a fan of burying wood, after it rots it takes up considerably less space and the possibility of a sink hole is high. I prefer to burn it and be done with it.

Thats my best guess too. I never bury wood, we had a serious issue at another property where huge stumps had been burried and had a building have the ground under it collapse and we lost the building, could have been very dangerous. the looks of this to me is that maybe its a pretty small area VS something where a bunch of stuff was bulldozed in and burried, which is probably good news

/ Dodged a bullet - found a sinkhole #43  
What I would do is dig it out good and square, then line it with cypress boards. You will have your very own wishing well.

I own ten acres of land that has two big bowl shaped depressions. Each one is a couple of acres. I'm guessing it is from limestone dissolving thousands of years ago. There is a line of these for about a mile, so it might have been an underground river or some such.