Loader Ballast

/ Loader Ballast #1  

DFB

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST /410 FEL, R4s
I know thru previous posts there are all types of ballasting being used. Some of the ideas are quite creative for sure. Weight being the important factor. Anyhow my tractor (JD) came with a loader operators' manual and it is specific on how much weight to use on different models as proper loader ballast.
I was wondering if some of the other manufacturers have similar recommendations. What I find most interesting is how different sized tractors require different weight. Larger tractors need less especially if liquid ballast is used in the tires and on smaller tractors it's relative to which tire type is also being used. Example; according to the manual if using loaded AG's(R1's) on the JD 4100, minimum 3-point ballast is 895 lbs compared to using loaded turfs or R4's where minimum 3 point ballast is listed as 725 lbs. and when using 6 wheel weights (360 lbs total) the minimum factory recommended 3-point ballast is 770 lbs for Ag's and 750 for turfs and R4's. Also if using loader forks or bale spears an additional 187 lbs is required on the 3-point. Thats some serious weight for sure
John Deere recommends ballast requirements of either wheel weights (6) or liquid ballast and 3 point ballast on all the tractors in this manual the largest being the 4400 calling for 550 lbs min. with loaded tires (all types) and 770lbs with 6 weights.
I would have to think most people don't use these min. recommended weights for everyday use. I know I don't. Not including using my loaded ballast box (780 lb when filled with concrete) the best amount of weight combination I can come up would be my tiller @ 418 lbs and 4 wheel weights 240 @ lbs. 658 lbs total. A bit shy (about 40%) of the recommended minimum of 1085 lbs for loader use.
I have to wonder if minimum recommendations and the numbers the factory provides are overkill. Or is a key factor in keeping all 4 wheels on the ground, especially when using the loader to maximum heights, (in my case 882 lbs at pivot pin, 781 lbs at cutting edge) in those numbers the factory provides. I've used a lot of different ballast weights in my short time with my tractor and the stability of the tractor/loader was greatly improved the closer I got to the "minimum" recommended weight requirements./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Loader Ballast #2  
DFB,
WOW you did some research and math.

Most of the older tractor owners in these parts go by feel,and if more ballast is needed they add on.

For me I found 400# of ballast on the rear works well when useing the FEL or the plow,but I also run turf tires w/ tire chains year round.

One older farmer told me what ever you FEL can lift have your counter balance about 100# differents.

Far as tillers go...in front ballast I'm learning from you gentlemen.

Hope your not getting that freezing rain that were enjoying over here. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Loader Ballast
Hi Thomas, been snowin' here since around noon. Less than 2" total so far. Feel is good. I guess when your getting up on 2 wheels its time to add some more weight. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif About a 100lbs more ballast than lift seems to match the JD specs at max. capacity for my tractor. BTW did you see anything on the news about that loaded tandem log truck that overturned on I-95 near here yesterday.

/ Loader Ballast #4  
DFB,
I agree w/ you about getting up on two wheels....yikes. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Only about inch and half of wet snow and the temp 31 degrees and its icy up quickly,and I'm sure I'll be lighting a candle or two. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Channel 8 news didn't mention about the over turn log truck on the evening news,hope the driver etc.. okay.

Enjoy the January thaw. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Loader Ballast #5  
DFB, I sure wish I had the information that you have. My loader is not here yet. Can you tell me what they call for a 4300 R-4s and no liqiud weight, I will build a 3 point ballest box, but I need to no the weight requirments so I can figure out how big the box of concrete needs to be.
Thanks for any help
DDT

/ Loader Ballast #6  
DDT,
I haul 1600 round bales with my loader and a set of bale forks. All I have for a ballast is a 6" box blade and I do have 3 tractor weights on each wheel. I don't ever have a problem and I know I'm not even close to what they say to use for weight.
Richard

/ Loader Ballast
DDT, the info I have only covers the 410 and 420 loaders.

The ratings are the same for both the 4300 & 4400.

420 Loader ballasting requirements/All tire types: Either 6 wheel weights and 770lbs min. 3-point ballast or liquid ballast (calcium chloride 75% filled) and 550lbs min 3-point ballast. Minimum tread width 59". I don't know if the loader ballasting requirements for using the 430 loader are different.

/ Loader Ballast
Richard, that's it exactly. Whats generally practiced vs factory stated requirements. I have to think the factory recomendations need to assume all types of scenarios such as operating on hillsides, uneven terrain, etc. Of course your tractor is heavier by more than 500 lbs, the wheelbase is longer by several inches and the minimum width is more than a foot wider, plus your loader is rated at a 1000 lbs more lift. 1600 lbs is well under your max. stated capacity. Actually that's more than the max. capacity of a 430 loader. Doc, isn't that kinda like using the same dosage of a medication prescribed for a 250 man for a 120 lb woman. My wifes' stepfather is always impressing on me how much more stable his AG style tractors are because of their greater width and general weight.

/ Loader Ballast #9  
DFB,
Can 420 FEL be install on a JD4100?

/ Loader Ballast #10  
DFB,
Yes you are right on all counts. Actually I was just trying to show an example of what I use that works out ok for me. To be honest with you before I got the 4600 I didn't even know what a ballast box was. Growing up we never even thought about it, but we had big tractors. With my Massey I never needed any ballast, but you're talking a way bigger tractor. I guess I just use the common sense approach which probably isn't the best approach.
Richard