Chaps

/ Chaps #1  

RonL

Banned
Tractor
Caterpillar 416C IT, Caterpillar D3G, previously owned a Ford 1910
I recently lost a mano a mano with a chain saw. Fortunately there was little stuctural damage. The wound, however, was very ugly. I worked overnight then drove up to the mountain. Was tired and rushing to clear an area to set a storage container. Cut some saplings amid the brush and let the saw swing back. Felt that awful burning feeling and knew that I had screwed up. Grabbed my leg and threw the saw down. Opened my hand and saw the shredded flesh. Jumped in the truck and my wife drove me to the hospital. Afterwards I checked the saw and observed that the saw was idling fast and the chain did not always stop when the thottle was released. The saw had been recently sent to the shop for tuning. Combination of fatigue, carelessness, and maybe the chain still spinning resulted in a nasty bite. When I left the hospital I went directly to the supply house and bought a pair of chaps. Woman at the counter commented on my limp and the hospital band on my wrist. If the people who use chain saws saw the nasty damage a chain saw does in the blink of an eye, they would all use chaps. Crazy thing is I was lecturing my wife on safety on the trip up to the mountain. Was going to go buy chaps, but was just going to clear this little area........

RonL

/ Chaps #2  
Ron
Sorry to hear about your injury.
Get well soon.
Since you purchased the Chaps, do you have the Helmet and Face shield? Don’t forget Steel Toed Shoes.
Your post sent me back to read over some older post on Chain Saw safety.
Click Here
Click Here

/ Chaps #3  
Ron,
Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope that there is no permanent damage and that you have a speedy recovery.
Fatigue and equipment don't go together very well.

/ Chaps #4  
Them saws leave nasty cuts. Heal quickly. Everyone has a moment of non thought. Some are lucky; others are not.

Egon

/ Chaps #5  
Great advice! I hope you get well soon....

When I bought my 372XP, they showed me chaps that had been demonstrated by the Husqvarna rep. Apparently, he laid them on an oak log, ran a saw up to full throttle, and dropped the chain on the chaps. The top material was absolutely shredded. The underside, however, only had two holes about the size of dimes. Quite a contrast of what the wound COULD have been what it WOULD have been....

I walked out of the store with the chaps and helmet/mask/earmuff combo then drove to the boot store and got a pair of steel-toed Redwings. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Picture of my chainsawing rig attached.

Mark

Attachments

• 313067-forkschainsaw.JPG
    313067-forkschainsaw.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 268
   / Chaps #6  
Glad to hear that you're basically ok! I bought chaps 2 weeks ago after reading this forum and have been using them religously. Just curious . ..where in your leg did it bite you?

I hope you heal quickly.

Regards,
Dave

/ Chaps
RonH

Yep. Got the loggers helmut. Looking at different loggers boots now. Had been using my SWAT boots. They're stealthy but they don't have steel toes. Learned my lesson.

RonL

/ Chaps #8  
I took a Poulan 18" bar behind the Left knee 2 years ago. Last cut of the day, imagine that. It took out a lot of fat cells and missed tendons altogether. Funny thing is, the cut looks like it is over the tendon in the back of the knee. It hits that, I am limping permanently. Guardian angel on duty, needs raise. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Chaps #9  
RonL,
Sorry to hear of the accident. I do a lot of tree work and NEVER, and I mean NEVER, start any of my six chainsaws without the full safety rig....Steel toed logger boots, kevlar spats that run from the toe of the boot to the bottom of the chaps, kevlar chaps, kevlar gloves, and a full head protection rig (helmet, face guard, hearing protection). Additional rules are: Stop if you are tired, the work can wait and the delay will be a lot more if continuing necessitates a trip to the emergency ward. Never use a ladder without tying into the tree with a safety belt or harness. Use a safety breakaway lanyard on the saw, if climbing. Never raise a running saw above shoulder height, Always use a sharp chain. always keep a first aid kit with you. Spend a lot of time planning what could go wrong and then prevent it from happening. As you unfortunately know, it only takes a moment of inattention to cause serious injury. If you have a lot of elevated work to do, I highly recommend a extendable polesaw. I have an Echo that will allow limbing 22 feet up without my leaving the ground. If the work is higher and I am uncorfortable with the climb, I use a 4 foot manual ropesaw. Again, sorry about the injury and wish you a speedy recovery.
Bill

/ Chaps
Dave

It bit me about 4 inches above the left knee, straight across. About 4 inches long and the width of the blade. Went completely through the skin but, fortunately, did not realy damage the underlying muscle. The doctor timmed the ragged edges. This left a half inch by 4 inch gash that was then sewed up. I believe the machine was idled down but the blade had not stopped spinning when it made contact. I would imagine that a blade at full speed being kicked back forcefully would do severe damage.

RonL