Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL

Default How do highway departments do this?

Ive seen some tractors lately mowing the most ungodly hills and inclines with their full size Deeres and Kubotas, some with cabs some with not. They are going up and down, back and forth and any direction they please and they dont roll. Now i know they have filled back tires but how can that keep them from rolling over on some of the hills and inclines they mow? They are way more than a 30 degree angle.
    Kubota L2800DT, 4wd, Kubota FEL, Armstrong Ag 6' box blade, Howse 6' mower, Armstrong Ag 6' disk, Leinbach 6' rake

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: How do highway departments do this?

Kenneth.......I agree I see them going sideways on hills that have to be 60 deg or better...the only thing I can think of is maybe it is the batwing mower they have that keeps their wheels on the ground....No way I would ever think of doing that...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

I think you'll see quite a few tractors have up slope counterweights. The older Fords that were used in Pennsylvania were quite low-slung...although one wouldn't notice that when they operated on slopes.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

They have their rear wheels set all the way out. Ill bet youre seeing 30 degrees and judging more. Way more than 30 cross slope is out of the question. Up and down could do more ... probably a hard limit of 40.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    Ill bet you're seeing 30 degrees and judging more. Way more than 30 cross slope is out of the question.
    larry
    I agree....very hard to judge slopes unless you have a reference to work from.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

I'm thinking of what I saw just the other day on a freeway not far from my home ...there was a 50 foot power pole...a row of them along the other side of the freeway and then the bank go up the hill and there were two DOT tractors with bat-wings behind them...now my eyes saw the vertical power poles in contrast to the angle of the hill behind them...my mental protractor said it had to be more than 30 deg...I wish you guys could have seen it...my wife was with me and she even commented and said " You would never drive your tractor like that would you " I told her NO ! So I am just saying in this case I did have a point of reference...the Power poles for Vertical . Who Knows...scary though..I would have to wear a diaper and be encased in foam to try it...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Sometimes they don't.

Four photos of a roadside tractor mower rollover:

Tractor Rollover Scenario

None of the tractor roadside mowers I've seen here have loaders.

Bruce

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

I mow a slope that increases from about 25 to a measured 30 degrees at the point where I turn downhill. I am using a BX1500 with 4wd AGs and a 4" widened rear stance, with 54" suspended MMM. And I am sitting on the uphill fender and leaning low and forward. As I approach the 30 degree the tractor is creeping sideways and I have to turn the fronts into the hill to put the tractor on an approx 2% upslope orientation to hold even. Forget it when the grass is damp. When climbing straight up the steepest part of the slope that is 30-31degress I have to engage differential lock to assure it doesnt spin. Walking up it risks a fall.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

slopes like that are what teenagers and push mowers are for .put them to work so they have stories like we do !

Tractor
    Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL

The slopes im talking about are far more than 30 degrees and it defys logic how they can do this, up and down ok i can understand but going sideways is amazing. These are just standard looking kubota and deeres wirth 8' mowers. Theres no way i would even attempt that so i huess i would be fired ).
    Kubota L2800DT, 4wd, Kubota FEL, Armstrong Ag 6' box blade, Howse 6' mower, Armstrong Ag 6' disk, Leinbach 6' rake

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast