Old Water Wells

/ Old Water Wells #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
I got 42 acres bought on 2011, mostly solid brush and timber besides the 2 acres i have cleared. I have been searching for a water well on my property for 2 years now with no sucess. There are some old neighbors (age 80s-90s) around the land that tell me "you got a **** of a nice deep water well on your place." Only problem is they cant remember where its at. Some can tell me the general area but the general area is like a 15 acre area lol. One said its by the old sycmore tree, only prob is the old sycamore tree must be long gone cause theres no sign of one.

Some history so maybe someone on here can tell me how they were constructed and how deep generally they were back then. This well was used in the late 30s and 40s for drinking water, the ones still alive remember how good it tasted and how clear the water was, people around would come fill their jugs and bottles from it. They say it had an A-Frame type structure over it with a metal roof and a long rope and bucket they would lower down in the well. The old timers tell me it was a very deep well, maybe 4 feet in diameter with rocks around it that came a couple feet above the ground.

My land had a old frame home on it that burned down sometime in the early 50s, it was built far as we can tell in the late 20s or early 30s, we have found the old home site and the brick piers for it, some burned sheet metal that looks it was used as underpinning and some charred wood, BUT no well, and no sign of one, We are leary to walk a certain distance around the old home place for fear of falling in a covered over well. So I guess what im asking is back then generally how deep were wells dug? were they lined with rocks or bricks? How would someone cover over an old well? What signs do i need to look for to try to find this thing? Generally how far did people have wells away from their homes back then? Really anything anyone can tell me about old water wells would be appreciated and maybe help us find this thing. I suppose over the years it could have been filled in but the old timers around me dont remember it being filled but they do remember the old house that burned down.

/ Old Water Wells #2  
Get some cattle... they'll find it! :)

Sorry, maybe that was bad humor but I couldn't resist. I wish I had better advice.

/ Old Water Wells #3  
Consider starting looking near the house and work out. Use probe and have several other people and gear to pull you out on site.??:)

/ Old Water Wells #4  
The neighbors have an old well on their property. The state park flagged off two wells where we were building mountain bike trails. The wells looks like a 3-4' wide dark spots. I have not creeped up to look in and I never have ropes with me to tie myself to in investigate.

/ Old Water Wells #5  
Get on google earth and slide the time tool back in time and look for signs of the well. 4 ft in diameter would be easily spottable on some of the images. Look for nearby cattle troughs or the A frame.

Some of the old pictures do not have the same resolution as the ones for today, it's hit and miss. Some of them are quite good.

Good luck.

/ Old Water Wells #6  
A practical person would have built the house near , or right on top of the existing well. I'm thinking it was probably backfilled when the house burned. You should also notice a distinct change in the tree species if it is a natural spring well.

/ Old Water Wells #7  
Considering you're in Texas, that dug well may go down 50 feet; although I'm going to assume it's less than 20.

I strongly suggest the buddy system if you're going tromping around looking for it. Use a 6 foot crowbar to probe the ground ahead of you looking for the rock liner.

Or carry a 10 to 15 foot pole under your arms so that if you fall in, you catch yourself on the pole.

/ Old Water Wells
yeah we are very careful walking in the area and always carry a long pole, in fact i drive the tractor all over it hoping a wheel will drop in it. Since this well was so old did they did 50 foot wells back then by hand? seems that would be pretty difficult if it was only 4 feet wide but who knows.