Sickle bar mows biker

/ Sickle bar mows biker #11  
I'm thinking the same. Don't understand why the driver wasn't charged with not having his load secured. I can see how it can happen, but I also think with a reasonable level of care, and observation as noted by FlyerDan, it wouldn't.

A safety or backup strap for highway towing would be prudent I'd think. With the way the DOT picks over heavy equipment tie downs, you'd think they would want that mower arm strapped too.

I believe the rule to have a separate tie down for "attachments" doesn't come into play until 10000 lbs or something, but calling it a freak accident is not really accurate. It's not like the driver is just on his merry way, his auto insurance will pay out to the fullest and he will probably get sued for damages above the coverage he has. May even get sued anyway.
From the site sixdogs posted:
"The driver used the factory-installed device, which is made to secure the blade, Fitch said, but the device that holds the blade up failed. The driver couldn't be charged with failing to secure his load because he took reasonable steps to ensure that the tractor was safely secured on the trailer.
and
Godfried's injuries could have been far more severe had the driver not taken a wide berth and slowed down when passing the bicyclist, according to Fitch.

Police believe the truck was traveling around 35 mph in a 55-mph zone when the 8-foot blade hit Godfried's leg.
It sure doesn't sound like the truck driver can be faulted if the factory installed storage device failed and his slow speed pass works in his favour of being a cautious safety oriented driver. John Deere OTOH is likely to find themselves named as defendants in a lawsuit though.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #12  
And talk about some deep pockets, Ouch!

/ Sickle bar mows biker #13  
It was probably one of those old sickle bar mowers with a bolt that go through the sickle bar to hold it in the up position. Those are from the 1940's or 50's and the nut never holds. Passadumkeag, Maine is just a four corners rural former town and casual trailering of things typical. To me, I see the driver being at fault but I don't think the manufacturer has a problem with an old mower being trailered and not in being used for it's intended purpose.

It would be great if the newspaper article had some of the basic info there.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #14  
It's a terrible thing that happened and I feel bad for the cyclist, however. ..

I don't see it as much different than driving down the road and having your spare tire winch cable breaking and the tire goes flopping down the expressway and goes through someone's windshield. Tragic, but still "a freak accident". That is of course assuming the driver did have a reasonable locking pin on the blade. I load a lot of crap into my pickup that really ends up relying on the cheap tailgate latches.

/ Sickle bar mows biker
The article I read didn't say "sickle bar" mower specifically, but I assumed that from the description.

Anyways, the locking nut on a sickle bar mower isn't intended to be a trailering situation lock-down. Vibration and so forth could cause it to loosen on its own. It could be so old that metal fatigue and/or rust played a role.

Murphy's Law applies here: Could this thing flop down? Well of course it could. Nothing "freaky" about that.

I don't see willful negligence involved.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #16  
Agreed, I don't see intentional negligence either, just lack of common sense and an understanding of mechanical capabilities.

Thankfully, most of us here are cautious to a fault and that's a good thing. If something can fail it usually will unless you are overprepared for that failure. Same as wash the car and it rains; don't wash the car and it will never rain.

I have learned to take that extra moment when trailering or towing and think what can or will go wrong and hedge against it. Straps take only a minute and can prevent changing the life of yourself and someone else forever.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #18  
Sounds like the transporter did use the locking device on the mower.
I'd have gone with a strap or chain myself; but then I'm an old hand at transportation safety.
Hope he had good insurance!