Sickle bar mows biker

/ Sickle bar mows biker #2  
Sounds like the hydraulics were holding the mower in the upright position, and then leaked down while transporting. Holy cow. What a nightmare for the cyclist.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #3  
Not only that, but it was afternoon, presumably daylight. I don't know about you guys, but I suspect that you, like me, check your mirrors often when towing or hauling something to make sure that nothing is amiss.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #4  
Boy...there's a lawsuit!

/ Sickle bar mows biker #6  
That's just awful

/ Sickle bar mows biker
Boy...there's a lawsuit!

I'm thinking the same. Don't understand why the driver wasn't charged with not having his load secured. I can see how it can happen, but I also think with a reasonable level of care, and observation as noted by FlyerDan, it wouldn't.

A safety or backup strap for highway towing would be prudent I'd think. With the way the DOT picks over heavy equipment tie downs, you'd think they would want that mower arm strapped too.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #8  
I believe the rule to have a separate tie down for "attachments" doesn't come into play until 10000 lbs or something, but calling it a freak accident is not really accurate. It's not like the driver is just on his merry way, his auto insurance will pay out to the fullest and he will probably get sued for damages above the coverage he has. May even get sued anyway.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #9  
It's Maine- figure the driver was just getting on with his day, he pulled over, did his best- what else is there to say!
Cripes, the guy was on a bicycle - what do you expect?

Just the ironic tragedy of it all.

Stephen King was hit on the road while walking- man got a 6 month suspended sentence.
I'm glad it's not my problem to figure this stuff out. Stephen king bought the vehicle that hit him and smashed it up with a sledge hammer.
Life happens.

/ Sickle bar mows biker #10  
I'm thinking the same. Don't understand why the driver wasn't charged with not having his load secured. I can see how it can happen, but I also think with a reasonable level of care, and observation as noted by FlyerDan, it wouldn't.
A safety or backup strap for highway towing would be prudent I'd think. With the way the DOT picks over heavy equipment tie downs, you'd think they would want that mower arm strapped too.
Per the second link, there was a mechanical lock of some kind that he used, but it broke off. I agree that a second strap would be prudent.

Aaron Z