Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #31  
Wingnut
I wear 28db muffs in my cabinet shop most of the time (when machines are running) In the summer they sure make alot of sweat in the muffs, but it does get hot in my building. Do the ones from northern have the same effect? I would like some with a radio in them
DDT

/ Hearing protection
Thanks for the link, could not get on it though they say it cloed for maintance.. I'll try it later. I went to my local hardware store to see if the had anything similar. I found some plugs made by Aearo Company (that's how the spell it). The # of the product is 90586, claim to have a 21 dbl reduction. It does not say ultra fit on the package but sure looks like them according to the web site. I tried them out in the shop for few minutes, grinding, welding, hammering, air hammer. I must say they are very comfortable. They don't cut out as much noise as my muffs but work quite well. I think they well be perfect for the tractor, need to wait till we have another storm then I can push back the banks on most of our 100 drives. The amount of noise distortion is not bad at all. Pretty inexpensive too, $2. Thanks again for the links and the info.

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Hearing protection #34  
Guess I'm late chiming in on this one. Never the less I sure have an opinion about it. This same subject was on this board about chainsaws maybe 2 or 3 months ago.

Anyway, when on the tractor, using the chainsaw, or doing anything that involves a lot of noise I use two things: First I have some cheap Styrofoam type plugs that I bought from Home Depot, they ususally come in a pack of 8. Second, I wear a set of shooting muffs. I keep them draped over my wheel knob when I'm not using the tractor. This may seem like over kill to most of you, but I'm trying to save my hearing. I grew up with a dad who flew helicopters all of his life. The hearing in his right ear...well, forget about it. The hearing in his left ear is about gone as well. Since I was a kid he would yell at us, "Stop mumbling and move you lips!" Problem was we weren't mumbling. Or someone would say something and he'd look at us and ask, "What did he say?". We won't even talk about how loud the t.v. is when he's listening to it, or the joy of being in a movie theater with him. He's tried 3 or 4 different types of hearing aids, but hates them all. His hearing problem only gets worse as the years go by.

I started getting my hearing problems in Nam.....o.k. this is misleading, it wasn't Vietnam, it was Thailand. My Dad flew for a company that flew out of Thailand. We lived there for a bit. Anyway, my dad had a little stero that you could attach a head set. I'd put on the head set and turn the volume way up. After years of being stupid and doing this I don't hear as well as I should.

I don't want to go around saying, "Huh?", "Move your lips", etc. so I wear all the ear protection I can get.

Bill Cook

/ Hearing protection #35  
I use a pair of Mickey Mouse muffs whenever I'm on the Bota. Not only are they hard to lose (I hang them on the ROPS when not in use), but they keep my ears toasty warm in the winter!

Pete

/ Hearing protection
Gordon

Used them (ultra-fit) for 3 hours in the tractor, work great! You know they fit well when you go to remove them by just pulling/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif instead of twisting and pulling.

Thanks again!

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Hearing protection #37  
Well fellows, let me tell you a thing or to about hearing protection. In my line of work(railroad engineer) they are an absolute must! If you take a look back in time, you will see old railroaders cant hear anything! The company I work for would not let us wear hearing protection years ago, but after several lawsuits they are now not only providing protection,but it is mandatory that you we wear protection within 100 ft. of a locomotive...Go figure! Anyway i use hearing protection whenever I am around any thing loud now.I am so used to them (ear plugs) that I can't stand the noise without them! So if you value your hearing, better wear something in your ears no matter how uncomfortable it is..

Hoghead

/ Hearing protection #38  
WVBill,

I'm a pilot, and can tell you about ANR headsets used in aircraft. The noise reduction you get from these are mainly aimed at "regular" sounds, and tend to not reduce the oddball sound that is not regular. Case in point: the regular droning of an engine operating at one RPM, versus the occasional "clang" when you run over a burried pipe with the brush hog won't get blocked out.

The GlueGuy

/ Hearing protection #39  
Ah! That's the bit of information I was looking for.

Thanks, GlueGuy.

I flew in the Navy back in the 70's & 80's and all we had was the "earmuffs" inside our helmets. I'm not sure how effective that was. Huh? I SAID "I'M NOT SURE....."

I need to protect what I've got left.

18-32378-billanim.gif