Hearing protection

/ Hearing protection #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
Well the aftermarket cab (Curtis) works, keeps me warm and dry. But being aftermarket it is very, very noisy inside. My question is what do people use for hearing protection? I have tried the little foam pieces you compress and stuff in your ear, don't care for them uncomfortable. I have large ear muff style ones for work but they seem a bit over kill. Is there anything small and comfortable. I don't want to block out all the noise just reduce it a little, I like to hear the equipment so I can tell if some thing doesn't sound right.

THANKS

Derek
18-29716-2120.gif

/ Hearing protection #2  
Derek,
I got to agree w/ you,I to like to listen to see if the equipment is running right..and yes it is a bad practice. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
Nothing like hands on as they say.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Hearing protection #3  
I went to an audiologist and had a pair of mineral fiber ear plugs made. They're custom made to a molding of our ear. However, some audiologist use a style of plug that seal the ear canal better but are less comfortable than other styles.

My plugs provide a 15db cut, which is less than the muffs on my chainsaw hat, but seems adequate for tractor use. 20db cut plugs also are available. The main thing about the mineral fiber plugs is they don't change how things sound, unlike foam plugs that sop up the high frequencies. I got the plugs for engineering live music, because some of my audiences insisted upon damaging their hearing. Foam plug change the way things sound, and they don't work at all for sound engineering.

/ Hearing protection #4  
There is a headset style that I use Derek. It is preformed and they fit reasonable well. When I don't need them I just pull the headset down. I like them and they're easy to get out of the way when I don't need them.
Richard

/ Hearing protection #5  
Mr. T. I always use some type of hearing protection on my tractor, it is just a very noisey sucker.. But if you pay attention you can tell about any change in the way the equipment is running.

/ Hearing protection #6  
I use the compressed foam plugs and have for many years. I keep a pair in a small ear-plug container attached to the tractor key ring. I get out a fresh set every month or so. The foams work fine for me and I don't find them uncomfortable, although my son does. He has a set of pre-formed small "head phone" like protectors that he uses. I think he got them from Quality Farm & Fleet.

Bob Pence

/ Hearing protection #7  
I use the little rubber plugs with a string between them. I just hang them on the steering wheel, and they're always there where I can't forget them. Just knock off the dust and they're ready to go!

I am disappointed with the noise level of my tractor. At some point down the road, I'm going to see if there is an 'upgrade' over the factory muffler. It seems reasonable to me that the manufacturers should be able to keep the noise levels down further. I assume they don't do this because of cost, not because of lack of technology.

Boots.

/ Hearing protection #8  
Derek I can relate to the cab being very very loud!!! Wait till you rotary cut for 8-10 hours straight, you will be putting anything in your ears to cut the noise down. But on a cold rainy, snowy day I wouldn't trade my cab for anything.

I use Aero-ear, UltraFit earplugs a very soft rubber they have a noise reduction of 21 decibels. I like them better than the foam plugs and there alot cooler in summer than the ear muffs.

The bad thing about the cab is that I've got to turn the stereo up to hear it. Guess there are worse things to complain about./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Gordon

/ Hearing protection #9  
Gordon,

There has to be two birds with one stone in here somewhere.

Maybe Steroheadphones/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Hearing protection #10  
I have been following this thread for a couple days waiting to see if anyone would mention headphones. Throught I might be the only one who uses them. I mounted a radio on the tractor,
but instead of speakers, I installed a headphone jack and use headphones as hearing protection. The old type headphones which cover the whole ear. It knocks out about 50% of the tractor noise and allows me to enjoy my work even more while listening to music or maybe some talk radio. I had a radio mounted on the tractor even before I installed the lights. Can't believe there is not a bunch of people doing the same...Rick