Bobcat versus Pickup Truck

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
This actually happened several years ago (when the truck was only about six months old /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif )

I had rented a Bobcat to dig a foundation for a room addition at our old house. Got a backhoe attachment with it and all went well. A friend suggested extending the hoe all the way out then inching up to the existing structure stopping with a bit of margin. That was a great tip, never hit the house.

Later, I was using the bobcat loader to remove some spoils. My nearly new pickup was parked on the street and there was the ever-so-slight downgrade to it from the lawn area. My first scoop of dirt was a doozy and boy was I proud of myself. I spun that machine around and headed down towards my truck thinking of nothing but the next scoop. Had the bucket up plenty high to clear the truck bed. Started slowing as I approached my truck and that is when I learned a rather abrupt lesson about Bobcat stability... there isn't such a thing! Between the slight downgrade, the full and high bucket and my slowing down the whole thing rocked forward faster than I could remember which controls did what. The attached picture shows the result. Bobcat meets truck bed /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It wasn't pretty and the words coming from my mouth are certainly not suitable for this forum! The sheet metal of the truck just folded up like it was paper. Both bed side and tailgate. It was worse than the picture shows. After a brief cooling down period my previous body shop experience came to mind and I used the same Bobcat to push the bed side back in and up to a semi-reasonable position. You can see a horizontal witness line in the bed from that manuever. I later took a hammer and assorted other tools to the tailgate to regain functionality. It doesn't look pretty but it does work. No damage to the taillight, thankfully.

Sometime later I talked to insurance but they wanted to call it collision, which would have affected my rates substantially. I've since worn it as a badge of courage and happily continue to use the truck as it was intended, to haul things.

Some time later, we bought property tractor etc. I never even considered a skid steer, went straight to a CUT /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 317826-IM000589.jpg
    317826-IM000589.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,883
   / Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #2  
Rob,

Look at it this way, a new pickup is not as useful as a dented up old one since you always worry about a new one.....

You are right about bobcat stability. Not the tool for steep slopes.
However, with some practice you can move alot of dirt rapidly since they manuver so quickly.

Fred

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #3  
I had a 773 come off of a curb and catch my truck as I went by. I'm so glad I made that bed out of three sixteenths material. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It knocked off both of those bumper pads Bobcats have on their rears and it dinged an aluminum door on my truck. The Bobcat got the worst end of the deal.

My 165HF is comparable to a 753 in size. I'm doing a lot of berm work on a job. It is usually on two wheels at an given time. Either I'm coming down a bank with a load in the bucket on the front two wheels or I've dumped the bucket and am backing back off the berm and only having the back of the frame and the rear tires on the ground. There have been a couple of times when it felt like it was going to tip sideways. That usually inspires a quick turn to the down side. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I feel a lot more secure in the skid steer over rough terrain than I do in a backhoe.

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #4  
you think that you have damage?????? see attached picture.. glad it wasn't mine...... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.....

Attachments

• 326060-photo36_3.jpg
    326060-photo36_3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 800
   / Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I feel a lot more secure in the skid steer over rough terrain than I do in a backhoe. )</font>

With the skidsteer it is easy to tip over but you will walk away from it in most cases.
Maybe not the case with the backhoe.

Fred

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #7  
I disagree, They are built to the same standards as far as rollover. If one is belted in properly, either one would fair about as well as the other. The rest of the backhoe may suffer more damage, but the operator's station will be intact.

Comfort has more to do with the perception of safety. In a skidsteer, one is seemingly encased in steel. On a backhoe, the view is open with seemingly no protection. Sorta like the forklifts at work; I feel safer on my tractor as I sit "in" an operator station surrounded by the metal fenders and such. Nevermind the forklift's cage is much more solid compared to the tractor. I hope never to test it, but I'm sure the lift would take a flop very well. I always wear the belt just in case I do somthing stupid. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Just my ramblings...

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #8  
Some mechanics seem to get pretty blase about big equipment wizzing by their trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #9  
Junkman:

I hope the tire wasn't cut on the quarry truck. They cost about 20K each.

As for the Ford, oh well!! Goods "parts" truck!!

/ Bobcat versus Pickup Truck #10  
Scott,

You may be right but I was thinking more about a case when the machine falls over on a tree stump, rock. or other object. A cab tractor or backhoe is not going to save you. The bobcat cages I am familiar with appear to be better enclosed.

just my two cents..
So far I have been lucky enough not to prove this either way..

Fred