Tractor Stability on Hills

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #21  
RoyJackson wrote: As I'd written in my original response, the manufacturer has no control how operators equip or use their tractors. A comparison such as you suggest would be for the tractor alone and could give buyers a false sense of security."

It would give buyers a comparison of the stability of one tractor to another. Yes a security that one tractor is more stable than another. Perhaps this would even coincide with their feelings. Its not a license to use it at x speed on a y angled slope, with or without an attachment, loader etc.. I believe the OP was looking for manufactures information, and as you said no manufacturer is going to give a maximum slope angle, but this ratio would be a basis to compare.
However if you gan get the center of gravity below the axle, say with loaded tires, as hard as it is to believe, the width is no longer a factor! Ponder that!

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #22  
Some modern orchard tractors generally have a low center of gravity since they have to squat low to avoid damaging the trees. And standard field tractors can be modified fairly easily to lower the CG. My 1964 MF135 diesel is a case in point.

View attachment 337242View attachment 337243

The normal tall rear wheels have been replaced by BF Goodrich 6-ply 18.4-16A tires (18" wide, 16" dia rim, 40" tall overall) and the front axle spindles have been replaced with shorter ones to keep the tractor level. The previous owner made these modifications to work in his olive orchard.

Good luck.

What I want to know is, if you got that stump out.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #23  
However if you gan get the center of gravity below the axle, say with loaded tires, as hard as it is to believe, the width is no longer a factor! Ponder that!

Most machines need duals on the rear to add enough fluid to draw the COG that low. The Tiger mowers our state road uses has a HUGE undercarriage subframe that is made to drag the COG down below the level of the axle when used with loaded rears. It also ruins their clearance for standard farm type use.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #24  
If you can find the University of Nebraska tractor test for your tractor, it may have the center of gravity listed.

http://tractortestlab.unl.edu/testreports

For example, from:

Test 1062: Case 1170 and 1175 Diesel
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2438&context=tractormuseumlit

"Center of gravity (without operator or ballast, with minimum tread, with fuel tank filled and tractor serviced for operation) Horizontal distance forward from center-line of rear wheels 30.7" vertical distance above roadway 42" Horizontal distance from center of rear wheel tread 0" to the right/left"

Bruce

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #25  
What I want to know is, if you got that stump out.

Yep, I prepped it by cutting the large horizontal roots before yanking it out. No problem.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #26  
RoyJackson wrote: As I'd written in my original response, the manufacturer has no control how operators equip or use their tractors. A comparison such as you suggest would be for the tractor alone and could give buyers a false sense of security."

It would give buyers a comparison of the stability of one tractor to another. Yes a security that one tractor is more stable than another. Perhaps this would even coincide with their feelings. Its not a license to use it at x speed on a y angled slope, with or without an attachment, loader etc.. I believe the OP was looking for manufactures information, and as you said no manufacturer is going to give a maximum slope angle, but this ratio would be a basis to compare.

Ponder what?

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #27  
Ponder that when the C.O.G. height is below the axle, the width no longer effects the tipping point. I thought that was interesting as it seems counterintuitive, that is, opposite of my feelings : )

Last edited:
   / Tractor Stability on Hills #28  
Ponder that when the C.O.G. height is below the axle, the width no longer effects the tipping point. I thought that was interesting as it seems counterintuitive, that is, opposite of my feelings : )
Thats when pulling hard from a drawbar, dynamic stability. When driving on hillsides, the COG is still having a negative effect on stability as long as it is higher than the contact plane with the ground its driving on... getting the COG lower than the tires makes it a bit hard to drive ;)

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #29  
Ponder that when the C.O.G. height is below the axle, the width no longer effects the tipping point. I thought that was interesting as it seems counterintuitive, that is, opposite of my feelings : )[/QUOTE
IF that is the case, stand a domino up on end and turn one so the narrow edge is parallel to the slope and then turn the other one so the long edge is parallel to the slope. Start to tilt the surface and see which one falls first. COG is the same as they are both the same size and weight, but the narrow one will fall much quicker than the one with a wider stance.