Tractor Stability on Hills

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #1  

NorthernboyinKY

Tractor
Sears Lawn Tractor
I'm looking to buy a sub-compact tractor, and I'd like to purchase one more stable on hills. My question is, why is it impossible to find out which models are more tip-resistant than others? I've read countless threads about stability on hills, but the manufacturers make no mention of center-of-gravity or tipping moment or anything else that would help me make my decision. I know the info varies greatly depending on implements, but I can't find any information at all.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #2  
No manufacturer can state (with absolute authority) that one tractor is more "tip resistant" then another.
These machines are used in a great variety of situations as far as type of property, severity of slopes, implements to be used (which can change the center of gravity) and much more.
It's up to the operator (YOU) to determine safe usage of the machine and make appropriate adjustments (wheel spacers, filled tires to name two) to enhance it's safety. It's also up to the operator (YOU) to use the equipment in a safe manner.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #3  
No Scut is going to give a specific rating other than perhaps some generic "do not operate on grater than 15* slopes"

If you want something specific (or less general) you really need to look at machines made special for slopes.

As Roy said, its going to come down to experience. I regularly operate on about 20-22* slopes, some guys do more, some do less. Things like spacers and filled tires can help on slopes.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Stability on Hills #4  
There are tractors made for hills

I've seen steiners on some amazing slopes.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #5  
There are Tilt-O-Meters. Formulas for percentage of slope. And opinions. It differs. A loader on with bucket raised is less stable on hills. An implement raised on side hills is less stable. A hidden hole or rock missed the previous time will cause instability on hills. It is what you are doing at the time and what you are doing it with. You are the ultimate judge of slopes. If you feel that it is unsafe then it is certainly is unsafe. Don't push it to the edge on hills. Take a little more time to do it in a way that you are comfortable with.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #6  
I'm in WV and we have a couple hills here and there. :D Pretty much any tractor can be setup for hills, I put 35 gallons of windshield washer fluid in my Craftsman tires and use it on some astonishing slopes. Others I know have setup dual wheel setups on their lawn tractors. My Mahindra weighs over 6000# with the empty loader and nothing on the three point and I have the rear wheels set to the middle width setting; it goes really well on slopes as it is, but a few I slide sideways down the hill due to a lack of traction. I'm considering dual wheels or more weight to counter the problem. I know of a few folk that have added dual wheel setups to their tractors of this size as well. All types and brands manage all sorts of terrain here. Your main consideration should be the size you need for the tasks you have and don't buy too small. You can set it up for hills through use of ballast, spacers and width settings, and in the extreme; dual wheel kits.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #7  
"If you feel that it is unsafe then it is certainly is unsafe." ..so it comes down to feelings? A center of gravity height to width ratio also might also be a useful basis for comparing different tractors.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #8  
"Grandpa's tractor" would be have stability on hills. :)

Grandpa’s tractor – TRUE DAKOTAN

car-show-tractor-kids.jpg

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #9  
"If you feel that it is unsafe then it is certainly is unsafe." ..so it comes down to feelings? A center of gravity height to width ratio also might also be a useful basis for comparing different tractors.

It comes down to experience. I.E feelings. If you want to go the gravity height to width ratio give 'er a go. I'll watch your height to width ratio and see how that works. But I won't be on the tractor with you.

/ Tractor Stability on Hills #10  
Here's a picture...

3.jpg