I have a confession to make...

/ I have a confession to make... #1  

Henro

Tractor
Kubota B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini EX
Hello to those who remember me from the past...

My eldest grandson is 6 now... and I have always stressed to my grandchildren and neighbor kids (only two of them, now teenagers) to stay well clear of my tractors when the engine is running, and never come nearby unless they catch my eye and I signal that I am aware of them.

But this summer, I did let the oldest stand between my legs and drive the smaller tractor as I worked the hydrostatic directional pedal.

I was just reading a closed thread where one post mentioned a sad event where a grandfather was mowing backwards and ran over and killed his grandchild. (edit: I just realize when reading my post that the reason the kid was behind the tractor could have been because the grandfather had given him rides before, but this is obviously speculation as I do not know the details).

So I wonder which is better...having a grandchild ON the tractor or ?

Maybe this is a clueless question as I would NOT have a child on my tractor when I was working with it. But I could not help but wonder if that particular grandfather might have been better off having the kid on his lap rather than experiencing what happened. After the fact we all probably could say it could not get worse than it did, so anything else would have been better...

I am sort of wanting to let my grandson ride my larger tractor between my legs while standing up, and giving him the opportunity to experience working the loader...but have not decided about doing that yet. I mean just working the functions, not doing anything other than that, on a level surface.

How big a mistake would this be? I think he is old enough to understand that he must stay away from a working tractor. Up to now he has kept his distance. I am wanting to believe that giving him the chance to operate the loader would give him a better understanding of what tractors are about and reinforce his understanding of the need to stay clear of mobile equipment if not operating it.

What do you guys think? I mean using common sense and not being radical one way or the other.

Last edited:
   / I have a confession to make... #2  
Until he can sit in the seat and work the controls don't do it while it's moving. You can work the loader at a standstill.

/ I have a confession to make... #3  
Welcome back Henro, and yes I do remember you.

A kid on a tractor - their are a lot of factors, if the adult is responsible and if you know you are a responsible adult and the kid is mature enough to mind and pay attention, and what you are doing is safe.....etc.....

/ I have a confession to make... #4  
But this summer, I did let the oldest stand between my legs and drive the smaller tractor as I worked the hydrostatic directional pedal.

I did the same thing. We just went for a little 10 minute joy ride. I don't see the harm, he got a big kick out of it. Likelihood of injury probably 1 in a billion. Life is full of risks and all can not be eliminated.

/ I have a confession to make... #5  
Henro; good to see you back!:thumbsup:

Hope you don't mind but there have been a few referrals to your gauge wheels.:eek:

Can't comment on your question as a lot of variables come into consideration.:confused:

/ I have a confession to make... #6  
Welcome back, Henro.:thumbsup:

/ I have a confession to make... #7  
I remember you.

While a young person I rode on many full size tractors, many without ROPS. My grandfathers WD, the farmer that worked my parents land's 4020 and 4000, along with many cab tractors.

That being said I now have kids of my own and have a farmer that I help and do take my kids along. They never, ever ride on a tractor without a cab, and never when I'm doing side hill or loader work. Should a roll over happen (not that I have ever been remotely close to that) it's not worth it.

I do think it's a good idea with the tractor parked to let kids use the functions. If he isn't going to do any work, what difference does it make if he's moving or not? Many times when I haven't run a certain machine for a while or the 1st time I will do just that to get a feel for the controls of a loader or backhoe, etc.

/ I have a confession to make... #8  
I have a 6 y/o girl and a 4.5 y/o boy and they're always on the tractor with me when I drive from the house to the barn, or down to the creek, etc. -- one sitting on the backhoe seat and one in my lap or standing between my legs to "help drive". My daughter loves to steer! They know to stay far away if daddy is working with the tractor or digging, and I make sure I always know what's around me when driving. I don't do loader work with them anywhere on the tractor -- having a kid fall asleep on the backhoe seat while I'm driving around, forwards & backwards, with the loader is terrifying. You can't eliminate every risk in life and your kids/grandkids have to have fun and learn sometime.

Please, please, please: remember to set the parking brake and lower the loader and any implements at the end of the day or when the tractor will be parked for even a few minutes! I've come out of the house and seen the kids all over the tractor, playing with the levers & knobs. Even an empty loader bucket on a small CUT is heavy enough to crush a kid if one is under it and the other is at the controls.

/ I have a confession to make... #9  
I have a 7 year old nephew and 6 year old niece that both love to steer my tractor. The nephew started when he was 4. It started with me one day I had given him a ride, and he had his little pedal tractor out, and we acted him if he was going to give me a ride, and he said sure and slide forward on the seat for my to sit. I said I wouldn't fit but I had the perfect speed for him. I slide the seat all the way forward, put the tractor is 1 gear, and low range, and slowly let out the clutch with him in the seat, and me beside him. His mom freaked out a little, and about 3 minutes later she asked is it moving.

His sister has always been a little shy and scared to ride the tractor, even with one of her parents on the tractor with her. About a year and a half ago, her brother wanted to drive the tractor, and I said sure, and she followed us out to the shed. I backed the tractor out, and he got up in the seat, and I asked her if she wanted to ride. She said that she was a little scared. I said she could sit in the seat beside her brother, and she decided that was fine, and I put her up there. About a year ago they were visiting and she asked if they were going to ride the tractor again, and I said are you driving, and she said yes. Last spring they again visited and she asked if they were going to ride the tractor again. She also loved to steer. The funny part of the whole story, is 18 months ago I couldn't get her on the tractor, now I can't get her off. Last visit she steered around the yard for over an hour.

All child riding is done in first gear, at a high idle. which amounts to about 2 mph.

/ I have a confession to make... #10  
I think it depends on the maturity and personality of the child.

When I was a kid, Dad let me ride on his left knee and steer but NEVER when "working" the tractor (ie baling hay, bushhogging, ect). Generally Mom would take me to the field when Dad was close to finishing up so I could ride back to the house. It was mainly driving from the barn through the yard to the field and never fast. When I was a little bigger and could reach the pedals, I got to be on the tractor by myself and back up to 3 point implements for Dad to hook up. Before I was big enough to help in tobacco and hay, I got to drive the trailer through the field while the high schoolers loaded.

I really feel like being on tractors early in my life really helped me be a better driver when I got my drivers license. It helped show me the importance of paying attention to more than just steering. Anyone can steer, not everyone can drive.