Generators and CO

/ Generators and CO #1  

3930dave

Tractor
Ford 3930
Carbon Monoxide is a risk with any internal combustion engine. Unfortunately there were 2 fatalitites in the province yesterday, from a generator.

From the article, it sounds like the CO may have leaked through a solid wall, during the day, with multiple people in the home. It's hard to exaggerate how dangerous CO is. Rgds, D.

Toronto ice storm: Generator fumes kill Newcastle man, mother

Deadly carbon monoxide from a gas-powered electrical generator somehow entered their home from the garage, police say.

Two people are dead after carbon monoxide fumes from a gas-powered generator seeped into their Newcastle home on Monday afternoon.

Emergency services responded to the house after several inhabitants reported feeling ill about 3:30 p.m.

The generator, which was providing electricity for heating during ice storm power outages, was running in a garage attached to the house.

A 52-year-old man and his 72-year-old mother were rushed to Lakeridge Health Bowmanville but did not survive.

Durham Regional Police said the carbon monoxide managed to seep into the house even though there was no direct access to the garage from the home.

Toronto ice storm: Generator fumes kill Newcastle man, mother | Toronto Star

/ Generators and CO #2  
Running a generator in an attached garage is a HUGE NO-NO.

/ Generators and CO #3  
According to the Mayor of Toronto this morning, over 100 cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning have been reported so far. Caused by running generators in the garage, as well as BBQ's in the livingroom.

ARE YOU KDDING ME! :shocked:

/ Generators and CO
Running a generator in an attached garage is a HUGE NO-NO.

Many people will do it, rather than stick the generator out in the elements. (Not disagreeing with you).

All it can take is a major shift in prevailing winds (as we had here, with this last major weather system) to drive exhaust back into a garage - even in a "solid wall" garage with the door open, it can be fatal.

Rgds, D.

/ Generators and CO
According to the Mayor of Toronto this morning, over 100 cases of Carbon Monoxide poisoning have been reported so far. Caused by running generators in the garage, as well as BBQ's in the livingroom.

ARE YOU KDDING ME! :shocked:

Saw the same situation with BBQs in '98. General Science knowledge amongst the public obviously hasn't increased enough since then.

Rgds, D.

/ Generators and CO #6  
It's bad but, It happens every year. I have no idea why people don't use common sense when using generators. If you're going to use a generator, leave it outside or a shed that isn't attached to a home..Another good practice is, Having your fossil burning furnace/ heater/ boiler , etc, inspected each year B-4 using it.

/ Generators and CO #7  
holly cow batman....who would ever even think of letting an engine run indoors. I cant believe some people.

Personally, i have a CO detector on every floor of my house. I also install at least one per floor on every house i wire...have for quite some time.

Cheap insurance.

/ Generators and CO #8  
I had to use my Mr Heater (kerosene) to thaw the ice off my Kubota the other day. Brought it into the attached garage and ran the heater for an hour with the doorway open to the outside. Even then, I didn't like the possibilities as I mopped up the water. Sure wish I had a shed to store it in out of the weather.

/ Generators and CO #9  
It makes you wonder whether the general public should have access to some of this equipment. I mean, would they start up their lawnmowers & leave 'em run in the garage unattended?

Wind patterns can hold exhaust gas in a garage a long time, & obviously push against house walls as well. Combustion has to take place well away from any garage.

I get nervous even when piping exhaust out from an engine running in the barn. Can have exhaust leaks anywhere & not know it until it's too late. I miminize this whenever I can and move the engine outside at the earliest opportunity.

/ Generators and CO #10  
This happened right by where I live, it is unbelievable that this stuff happens. It reminds me of the people that take a drive shaft out to change a u-joint at home and the vehicle ends up running them over.